sp2700 sensistitvity ??

SP2500's are 98dB
SP3000's are 105dB

Probably somewhere in between.

Larry

These are 94db and the sp 3200 are 96db. Good speakers with the right amplifier. I think they were ment fot the Au series.

thanks all. they got sold before I could get em.
They seem to be the most rare sui spkrs. Were they military overseas base buys only?
All I know is they sure have a smooth sweet sound and I want a pair. they're not even listed on the 'sansui appreciation' website. 2500 and 3000 but not 2700.

No, the 2700A should be the same sensitivity as the non-A version. Used the same basic drivers as the 2700's but had cost reduced cabinets: no veneer on the baffle; just painted pressboard, flat versus curved grilles, no dispersion lens over the front tweeter, and the top firing tweeters were mounted flat rather than at opposing angles. The woofer was revised to have a paper rather than aluminum dust cap, but was otherwise identical to that used in the 2700.

of all you mention the opposing angle tweeters would be nice, otherwise I have no complaints with these. Thanks!

They are pretty decent speakers. The 2700 (non A version) has the top firing ambience tweeter horns firing at about 20° outward away from each other) where the A version has them firing straight at the ceiling. The angled version gives a slightly better ambience effect with reflected sound than the non-angled, but they still sound nice in either case.

I have a pair of 2700s, 2 pairs of 3200s and 1 pair of 3700s and prior to my getting SP-5500s, the 2700-3700 series were my favorite speakers from Sansui. I still really like them, but the 5500's are in a completely different league owing to their much heavier construction and massive midrange horns.

appreciate the feedback, I'm one of those guys with a few different systems that I'm always improving, fixing, upgrading. These SP2700 are connected to an AKAI receiver and cassette, dual 1009, and Tandberg R2R. I also have a little NAD system set up with a dual 1225 and Episode speakers. The plan now is to swap to a tube amp and use the much more efficient Sansui's.

No, the 2700A should be the same sensitivity as the non-A version. Used the same basic drivers as the 2700's but had cost reduced cabinets: no veneer on the baffle; just painted pressboard, flat versus curved grilles, no dispersion lens over the front tweeter, and the top firing tweeters were mounted flat rather than at opposing angles. The woofer was revised to have a paper rather than aluminum dust cap, but was otherwise identical to that used in the 2700.

Thanks Sansuiman for the explanation of the difference between the 2700 vs the 2700A. You expertise is very impressive.
I happen to be the original owner of one each. When I purchased them new in the navy in Subic Bay, PI, I didn't notice the difference in the boxes/paperwork. I was just trying to get my purchase back to the ship and find a nice safe place to store them along with half the crew doing the same thing. (any Shasta shipmates out there?). Anyway I didn't know I had gotten one each of the 2700's until much later. I wish I had them matched, preferably the non A's. I must have gotten one of the last 2700's and they then started selling the 2700A's The 2700's do have a nicer look with the slightly curved front lattice. FYI, the 2700 is rated at 90 watts and the 2700A is rated at 95 watts. I think they sound great with my Sansui 5500 and my FR-4060 turntable.

Thanks again,
Doug

Doug, interesting story there with the mixed pair. I don't know for sure, but suspect the A versions superceded the models with the A appended to the number, rather than being produced concurrently for some amount of time. With some residual stock sitting around, it is not at all surprising that both versions would've been found concurrently at some dealers, leading to the situation you have with one of each.

It may be I'm mistaken that all the drivers (excepting woofers) are identical. There are 6 models in the series; 2700/3200/3700 and each of those in turn had an "A" variant. Each numeric model had a different woofer by size, 12"/13/"14" respectively. The corresponding "A" version of each model share an identical woofer (save for the dust cap difference) with its non-A sibling. The midranges are the same on all 6 models, and the top firing horns appear to be identical across all models, though they have different part numbers for A versus non-A types. The front firing tweeter may actually be slightly different on the A versions. That, and perhaps some minor tweaking of the crossover design might account for the increased power handling rating.

Anyway, these are very underrated speakers among Sansui's offerings of the time. The mids and woofers are actually very good drivers with cast aluminum frames and baskets, rather than the more common stamped steel type used on most Sansui speakers of this vintage. They are a fairly typical three way system with just a single mid and tweeter on front, versus the more often seen setup of having multiple mids and tweeters (sometimes referred to as firing squads or kabuki speakers) with the addition of the rather unusual top firing horns.

The ambient (top mounted) horns really make a noticeable and beneficial difference in the sound quality. I find them great for all listening, but especially so for live recordings of jazz, blues, classic rock and some symphonic music. Actually, being an organist myself, I enjoy listening to clsssical and symphonic organ music recorded by the likes of E. Power Biggs, Virgil Fox, Michael Murray and a few others of note.

They excel at this sort of material since most such recordings were made on large pipe organs located in cathedrals with exceptional natural reverb and ambient sound characteristics. These effects tend to come out quite well with the design of these speakers, along with using Sansui quad synthesis surround mode via either one of my QRX-9001/999's or QSD-1's.

For those looking for a Sansui speaker that's a bit - though not entirely - different from their typical offerings of the early 70's, I highly recommend these. And more so still if you like the sound of some ambient reverb and reflected sound added to the mix.. Any of the 6 models are somewhat hard to find, but worth the hunt.

fun stuff Doug... do you have yours on stands that angle the baffle away from the floor? I was thinking of fashioning my own stand that raised them no more than three inches but angles them up about 20 degrees. Thanksgiving night my brother-in-law and I were listening to Frank Sinatra "live in Paris" on cassette, a cassette I had just opened new from 1994 , LOL . It's for moments like these that we are in this hobby...

fun stuff Doug... do you have yours on stands that angle the baffle away from the floor? I was thinking of fashioning my own stand that raised them no more than three inches but angles them up about 20 degrees. Thanksgiving night my brother-in-law and I were listening to Frank Sinatra "live in Paris" on cassette, a cassette I had just opened new from 1994 , LOL . It's for moments like these that we are in this hobby...

Mikefc,
I have them on some stands that came with them. Only about 1 1/2". Haven't raised them any higher or at angles.
New cassette from '94, crazy. Frank Sinatra?.....
My stylus just crashed on me, on my FR4060. Going to finally have to get a new one. Time to upgrade?

Mikefc,
I have them on some stands that came with them. Only about 1 1/2". Haven't raised them any higher or at angles.
New cassette from '94, crazy. Frank Sinatra?.....
My stylus just crashed on me, on my FR4060. Going to finally have to get a new one. Time to upgrade?

Hi Doug, by any chance can you send a pic of the stands that came with them? I'd love to create a match if I can. I've been all over the internet looking for images but no luck. Re: stylus, I just upgraded my cart on the Pro-Ject I have. I got the AT540Ml.... wow . what a bargain

9AE5D83F-6F58-4EDC-9FB8-B32F3AB5BEB2.jpeg
A0764C83-5914-418D-B8BA-EA9E4C058A64.jpeg 365A9BE5-693A-439F-853C-CD48DEC1B9F7.jpeg 49637864-E65E-4AE7-A174-CB739816A630.jpeg
Hi Doug, by any chance can you send a pic of the stands that came with them? I'd love to create a match if I can. I've been all over the internet looking for images but no luck. Re: stylus, I just upgraded my cart on the Pro-Ject I have. I got the AT540Ml.... wow . what a bargain

Here are some pics. I mainly have them up off the carpet for protection. Had a water heater break few years ago.
Let me know if you can see them ok.

View attachment 1341776
View attachment 1341777 View attachment 1341778 View attachment 1341779

Here are some pics. I mainly have them up off the carpet for protection. Had a water heater break few years ago.
Let me know if you can see them ok.

perfect, thank you. That seems easy to replicate. I have a tip for a fellow owner: the Sansui badge on my grille was never straight either, no matter how many times I adjusted it, it went crooked again. So I took off the grille, turned it face down on a soft surface and then used a nut driver just big enough to cover the circumference of the clasp and pushed down, This tightened the clasp against the grille and secured the logo.

perfect, thank you. That seems easy to replicate. I have a tip for a fellow owner: the Sansui badge on my grille was never straight either, no matter how many times I adjusted it, it went crooked again. So I took off the grille, turned it face down on a soft surface and then used a nut driver just big enough to cover the circumference of the clasp and pushed down, This tightened the clasp against the grille and secured the logo.

Glad the pics will work for you and good to know on the emblems. Usually they are fine until you start moving the component around. I like to have them straight too! I will just have to tighten it per your suggestion.
Still trying to locate a new stylus for my FR-4060.
Take care,

Glad the pics will work for you and good to know on the emblems. Usually they are fine until you start moving the component around. I like to have them straight too! I will just have to tighten it per your suggestion.
Still trying to locate a new stylus for my FR-4060.
Take care,
What cartridge do you have Doug? Do you need a stylus? Or maybe just swap the cart? That’s a nice looking TT. If it’s a p-mount, maybe change cartridge?

Back
Top Bottom