SP3000 surround repair

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by fxst85, Jan 9, 2019.

1. fxst85

fxst85 New Member

Hello, I purchased a set for 25.00 from GW. When I first spotted them last week they looked fine except for the missing lattice cover on one. Tonight they were on sale for 50% off however some one poked a hole through paper surround on the mid-range speaker. I bought them anyway hoping to be able to repair. Any suggestion on repair is greatly appreciated. IMG_7475.JPG

Please register to disable this ad.

2. tnsilver

tnsilver AK Subscriber Subscriber

you could try the tea bag / Elmer's fix (look it up) but the damage looks extensive. These drivers (or compatible Sansui drivers) pop up on eBay every once in while so you may wanna start lookin'

3. fxst85

fxst85 New Member

My tea bag patch. These are now doing duty in my office.

Thanks for the tea bag fix.

Attached Files:

4. Sansuiman

Sansuiman Well-Known Member

Nicely done. I've also repaired drivers using tissue wrapping paper and Elmer's glue diluted with water. Usually 3 or 4 layers stiffen it enough without significant change to the cone mass to make the driver usable again. Hadn't ever considered using a tea bag, but that material would certainly work as can be seen here.

Those look nice enough that I'd look out for replacement parts (midrange and one grille) and grab them when they show up. You got a heckuva deal on the original purchase price, so investing a bit more in parts shouldn't sting too bad.