SpaceX - Falcon9 - DragonX - Elon Musk

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by Bratwurst7s, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Bratwurst7s

Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

Wooeee! They did it! SpaceX successfully landed one of their Falcon 9 boosters on a postage stamp sized platform in the ocean after launching a DragonX capsule to the ISS. This is history folks.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/04/watch-live-spacex-to-launch-hopefully-land-its-rocket-today/
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/04/like-a-boss-falcon-soars-into-space-and-lands-in-the-ocean/

Elon Musk is one of the few people in the world today that I consider to be a true hero. Not some sports person that plays with an object for obscene amounts of money and spends their time being an ego and partying, not a movie star or pop star doing the same but a real rock star of a human using his money for a defined set of goals that will help the human race. This is of course just my opinion but I feel pretty strongly about it.

I wish SpaceX all the possible success in the world.

Cheers,
    James

2. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I'll second that! Really takes commitment to be in that game and I cheer to myself everytime there is another success.

3. tonyk

tonyk AK Subscriber Subscriber

That is awesome. It was pretty amazing considering the swells, it could not have been easy for sure.

4. seb9316

seb9316 Active Member

woohoo, only news about it is on some obscure techie websites, not one word about the attempt on mainstream news.

5. tonyk

tonyk AK Subscriber Subscriber

Bratwurst7s likes this.
  6. chinacave

chinacave Its Like a Jungle Sometimes; It makes me Wonder Subscriber

Yeah, yeah... Great guy, all for his efforts...........

But is it just me, or does he seem like the next James Bond evil mastermind? Elon Drax? Bloefeld Musk? Hmmm?

7. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

awesome

8. Bratwurst7s

cnolanh and davidb1 like this.
  9. RichPA

RichPA Don't drive angry Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Yep, this is very cool. I don't know if I'll live to see actual routine space travel, but it's exciting to see it beginning.

10. Bratwurst7s

I'd sure like to live long enough to see us return to the moon to stay. I still have hope anyway.

Cheers,
    James

11. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Elon Musk faces so much resistance from the established players in both the automobile industry, and of course, the legal monopolies that are the entrenched power providers.
    The man is a maverick, and I'm a fan.

12. gguillot

gguillot Super Member

He's like one of the old school industrialists. Howard Hughes, Henry Ford, etc. Glad to see innovation and ambition for something other than hedge funds is still alive in America.

WhiteSE and onwardjames like this.
  13. Bratwurst7s

14. Bratwurst7s

Alobar and RamblinE like this.
  15. Alobar

Very cool.. There is always going to be the element of risk anytime you have enough power to lift several thousand pounds of cargo to earths escape velocity (some of it likely to be the precious human kind). If SpaceX is getting criticized for going slow it tells me one thing, that they are serious about their long term success. When rushing something like this, accidents will surely happen.

16. hrballenger

hrballenger AK Subscriber Subscriber

Memories of reading Heinlein and many others writing of "backing down the jets" to a landing on some alien planet or moon. Closer now to happening.

John James likes this.
  17. Bratwurst7s

18. Bratwurst7s

19. Alobar

Glad it is working out well for SpaceX. I am delighted that the USA is still in the orbital delivery game here!

I have been thinking about all this space cargo and vehicle delivery systems industry now being conducted solely by private enterprise and I am not seeing all that much difference from when NASA was still largely doing it. Before, NASA simply out to bid on systems it wanted designed and built, all privately, but funded by the taxpayer. Now private enterprise companies like SpaceX, Boeing, and even Amazon are putting forth plans and constructing for this same type of thing, so what really has changed? These companies are likely subbing most of the parts out, just like NASA did. Of course they are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts and without profit in mind. They have expectations that the taxpayer will ultimately contract with them. Probably an easier sell to the taxpayers this way when they see someone other than NASA building this stuff even if they do end up paying for it anyway..

20. Decibel_116

Decibel_116 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congratulations to everyone on the SpaceX team. This is amazing stuff!