Spacexpander-where's the BOING!

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by walyfd, Nov 11, 2017.

1. walyfd

walyfd Well-Known Member

Some time this year, I found a Spacexpander. When I got it, I hooked it up to the 500B since it's a straightforward installation. There was slight reverb then none so I just got around to recapping it. Still nothing... output on the 500 is diminished with it installed in all functions (normal, reverb only or center). And nothing with the BOING test on the tank springs. Basically everything I did didn't change anything.

Now I just want it to do something... there a trick to these?

2. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

There must be something wrong in the Spacexpander. I have one I rebuilt and while it doesn't add a lot of reverb like the solid state pioneer one I remember from years ago, it is very noticeable. I also notice no drop in volume. Is it hooked up correctly?

3. walyfd

walyfd Well-Known Member

It was hooked up right. It just doesn't do anything but reduce the volume...

4. hammr7

hammr7 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Did you get both parts? The little tubes component needs to wire through a reverb assembly (a spring tank). The springs need to be loose and free, and tension adjustment of the springs is critical in getting the echo effect.

5. walyfd

walyfd Well-Known Member

All there--tube unit, tank and switch.

6. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

I'm with Vendo. Something ain't connected right.

7. walyfd

walyfd Well-Known Member

Even tried reversing connections and still nothing. Came from a Hammond organ which seems to have been a popular installation for these. Tank is dated 1969. Probably the last tube unit made by Fisher. Should easily be the longest production tube unit...

8. hammr7

hammr7 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Old AK threads are your friend. This one will give you some likely issues to check out:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-fisher-spacexpander.449753/

In addition, understand that the effect is always a bit muted if just using the Spacexpander. Guitar / Studio types that use the SpacExpander gear often add at least an additional step-up amp so they can control the reverb at higher levels. Of course, they may add a lot more additional effects in series.