spanning 50 years of audio history, its...

kirk57

Some guy on the Internet
Subscriber
my main system. Playing with the panorama option on my new camera, this is the view from the couch.

picture.php

The stereo is rack over there in the corner is not (very) visible from the couch, so here's a shot of that:

picture.php

Up top is my replinthed Lenco L-75 (more photos in a different thread)
below that is a Pilot SP 216a (circa 1960). Preamps are rotating through, I also use a Superphon Revelation Dual Mono (installing Blackgates now) and Audible Illusions Modulus 3 (waiting for a re-tube). The speakers are new (2010), so that's a 50 year span.

All the other gear is what's in my sig below.

This is absolutely beautiful. I love that Pilot. And I've spent some time auditioning Van L Quartets. Truth be told they are the only other speakers besides my Quads in that price range in the past few years that left much of a lasting impression, as in "I really need those". Love the mid-century minimalism. I passed up an original Eames rocker...a rare upholstered one...down the street from my last apartment and am still kicking myself for not getting it. I will never not regret that!

Thanks John. The Eames rocker is an original, purchased by my wife's grandmother in 1956. We also have an Eames wire frame chair with orange 'bikini' pads, Paul McCobb end table, and a few other midcentury pieces. The house was built the same year as the chair.

Downstairs is the vintage 30's stuff.

Very cool gear. I have added replinthed to my lexicon even though spell check didn't like it.

I like the whole scheme Kirk. Fabulous taste in equipment and accesories. Doesn't mean I'll be any less an ass in chat though :D

Thanks for the remarks.

The preamp (a 216a, which somehow differs from a 216) a SA260 amp, SP210 preamp, 680 tuner and 200 multiplexer were all given to me in 1975 when they were tearing all that 'old junk' out a recording studio.

I only last year got the preamp fully working (one channel was out in the phono section) and I'm amazed at how current it sounds. The only caps that have been replaced were ones that actually failed. It has EQ settings for 78s. The VU meters still work too.

Dig it!:smoke:

Especially appreciate the Thomas Dolby "Flat Earth" LP hiding out behind the Nitty Gritty. One of the best LPs from the 80s, in my opinion. Bet is sounds GREAT from the couch...

Cheers,

Gorgeous home and set up! I am especially loving the Pilot!
How do you like the Audible Illusion? I was considering one but ended up with the Dolan PM1. Which I am happy with, but was curious.
Thank you for sharing.

Gorgeous home and set up! I am especially loving the Pilot!
How do you like the Audible Illusion? I was considering one but ended up with the Dolan PM1. Which I am happy with, but was curious.
Thank you for sharing.

Well the Audible Illusions is great when it works. I've had problems finding tubes that can take the high bias that Art Ferris uses in his designs.

Art is sending me some tubes that I've been assured will resolve that.
We shall see....

Back
Top Bottom