Speaker drivers in serial

kjello

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
If you connect say 2 or 3 drivers in serial , will the voicecoil of one driver alter the signal to the next driver like the coil in a lowpass filter ?

Best regards
KO

Last edited:
Greetings;
what do you have in mind?

Technically two identical full range speakers (20-20khz) in series with no crossover become one. In series what does change is the ohms. say two 4 ohm in series becomes 8 ohms. and speaker wattage is additive. again in my ex. is identical full range. Other implications can be the ability of the amplifier to meet the impedance load. can drive some amps hot because the coils at say rated 4 ohms and the amp is rated for 8 ohm coils. Same for connecting two 8 ohm coils in series becomes 16 ohms and unless the amp can handle that may sound muffled or distorted. speaker design under consideration.

again what do you have in mind?

Thanks
A coil is used as a low pass filter, (like in a crossover) I was thinking if the voice coil in series could act in some way as a "low pass" for the next speaker in series, or am I completely off the field...
I understand as you say the amp will "see" say 3 drivers as one load
My question is only theoretical and constructed on a sunday afternoon :rolleyes:

Thanks
A coil is used as a low pass filter, (like in a crossover) I was thinking if the voice coil in series could act in some way as a "low pass" for the next speaker in series, or am I completely off the field...
I understand as you say the amp will "see" say 3 drivers as one load
My question is only theoretical and constructed on a sunday afternoon :rolleyes:
Interesting thought but no it wouldn't act as a low pass, it will simply split the amp power. My company makes Bass amps. and we use series parallel combinations to get multiple driver cabinets to 8 or 4 ohms without issue.

I don't think the current (or electrons) see the two coils as separate, but as one combined inductance. That is also true of the resistances and capacitances. Of course, series resistance is additive whereas series capacitance and inductance act in the same way that parallel resistances do - the sum is less than any individual value (if memory serves, of course).
What the result of all this is, I don't know, but the question seems to be ignored by speaker makers, so perhaps the capacitances and inductances more or less cancel each other out, leaving increased resistance as the main effect.
Of course each driver's output loads the other driver (on both sides of the baffle) so that should be added into the whole stinking mess of theory and practice.

I think that the voice coil properties (inductance, resistance,,,) will be small compared to the rest of the crossover network.
Maybe a coil inductance of 0.1-0.2mH where the main driver crossover may be 3-4mH. Strickly speaking you may are probably
right, any inductance will affect the crossover, but to what extent. 0.1mH in series with main driver will act like a low pass filter
centered at about 10kHz. For "accurate" crossover design, the speaker parameters should not be ignored.

Well, that's precisely what I meant. The signal splits evenly across series elements if they don't differ wrt resistance and reactance. This same principle applies to broadband divider networks such as scope probes, where resistance and reactance (capacitive in this case) are configured in identical ratios to divide the signal equally at all frequencies.

Back
Top Bottom