1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Grills on or off?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by ultumax, Oct 11, 2018.

?

Speaker Grills on or off?

1. You use grills on

45 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No grills !!

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Grills off when using, on when. Off

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. You don’t know what broke your grills a dog? A pet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Your speaker is designed grillless! Hurray

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. ultumax

ultumax Super Member

What is your preference and why?
    How does it effect the sound, does it effect acoustics at all?
    Any other information on this ...?
    Thanks
    ;)
    I’m sure this is a well debated topic also.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

I always have speaker grills on. If they're off, I can see the drivers, and I'm reminded that I'm listening to speakers, and not the classical music that I love.

Bill Ferris and arts like this.
  3. WaynerN

WaynerN AK Subscriber Subscriber

I believe the grill cloth, but more importantly, the structure behind it can affect off axis response. If you sit right in front, it may not be a big deal.

4. arts

arts Super Member

The grills are only on when the system is off;)

S S likes this.
  5. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

It's not an option for me. Maggies and Acoustats do not have easily removable grills.

6. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Only speaker I use without the grille is the pair that were designed to be used with the grille. Oh well.

I expect other speakers were designed to be used with the grille but folks like the added brightness of not having the grilles on the speaker. I have a few that make it difficult or ugly to remove the grilles. Anyone with wandering fingers should either locate the speaker so no one can poke in the domes and dust caps or use the grilles. Too many sad stories of folks that found poked speakers because they like to watch their speakers and little ones like to poke speakers.

Yes it has been discussed before:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/speakers-covers-on-off-or-doesnt-matter.432409/
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/grilled-or-un-grilled.117784/

But you offered a poll with too few options, like Joe mentioned. but we'll still play.

Can't see the option for non-removable. But I do see our bias in the ask with the double option of No gilles!!! and the corresponding Your speaker is designed grillless! Hurray!!

I'm thinking those three Ls together in grillless should also be !!! for added enthusiasm for the cone viewing you seem to prefer.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018

7. autoanalog

autoanalog Justin Credible

Ideally, I wouldn't leave the grilles on my speakers, but I don't trust other people who have access to the listening room not to stick fingers and other objects where they don't belong. Grilles reduce the temptation to engage in such behavior.

Bill Ferris and savatage1973 like this.
  8. tonyk

tonyk AK Subscriber Subscriber

What grills?

IMG_1059.JPG

BTW Magnepans, just like vintage AR's, should always be covered out of decency. Lol

yockmyer likes this.
  9. RTally

RTally Speaker addict Subscriber

I have Rectilinear III Lowboys that I run without those awful plastic grills. The speakers sound much better when they are not blocked by all that plastic. The grill looks too small, but it does cover the front of the speaker. :)

IMG_0298 small.JPG

All my other speakers I play with the grills on. The exception are my Dynaco A-25 because I need to repair the grill frames and clean the cloth.

bobins08 likes this.
  10. tom3

tom3 Super Member

Kids love them with the grills off. Just can't resist those center dust covers.

Bill Ferris and waggs098 like this.
  11. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

Grills have to be on in my case plus it’s part of the Vandys presentation to have the grill cloth on and no the kitty has never nor ever will have a desire to use my Vandersteens as a cat scratcher , he’s military disciplined and trained ;)
    06E84DCC-6388-4EDB-92F0-8DDD953F03D3.jpeg

Audiofreak71

12. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

[​IMG]

On.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  13. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I keep them on, even though the Monitor Audio drivers are quite pretty. The reason for this is because I hear no difference with them in place, and it is the safest place to store the grills while assuring they don't come up broken or lost. I've never bought a used speaker without grills. If I ever want to sell, they are right there. Once in a blue moon I will remove them for a few minutes to show the drivers to another enthusiast, but that is becoming more and more unlikely every day. I keep them on my Klipsch Fortes, too. And all the bookshelf models I own. Always have, always will. Besides, leaving them off can act as an invitation for tweeter-pokers.

Bill Ferris, Drum, waggs098 and 3 others like this.
  14. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

^ I couldn't say it any better than this

15. soundbound

soundbound Active Member

16. Blasty

Blasty Solder Ninja

With my La Scalas, it depends.

I usually leave the grills on because my cats miraculously do not claw them (like they do everything else). Sometimes when I want to hear every detail, I'll take them off. On a brighter recording, putting them on sometimes sounds better.

There is a psychological effect at play. Sometimes if I'm staring down the long black throat of the horn while listening, it sounds more... horny. If I don't look at it, it sounds perfectly natural.

17. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Super Member

I do a lot of my casual everyday listening with the grills on, but when I sit down for a serious listening session I almost always take the grills off first.

18. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

My grilles are off. As long as the speakers are well finished, most speakers to me look more purposeful with the drivers exposed. They also sound better IMO.

Some of those ancient big ass, brown boxes from the 70s with practically raw baffle boards may well look better with the grilles on.

Bodyblue likes this.
  19. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Your boy looks a little like our new cat, Julio. Here he is on the back deck the other day:

cropped.JPG

20. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

They do look alike , good looking boy .

Audiofreak71