Speaker Help

Nucities

As I've posted in other threads I'm looking for speakers for my office. I guess I need some help. Not only am I looking for a smaller size I'm really looking for something that will sound great at low volume. To explain...if I'm playing my main system (KLH 6 with 6060) it sounds best when volume is at about 1/3-1/2 of the dial. What I'm looking for in the office is a system that sounds great at lower volume, base full, minds strong, treble clear etc.....I know this is subjective but it there a particular spec or speaker I should be looking for?

As I've posted in other threads I'm looking for speakers for my office. I guess I need some help. Not only am I looking for a smaller size I'm really looking for something that will sound great at low volume. To explain...if I'm playing my main system (KLH 6 with 6060) it sounds best when volume is at about 1/3-1/2 of the dial. What I'm looking for in the office is a system that sounds great at lower volume, base full, minds strong, treble clear etc.....I know this is subjective but it there a particular spec or speaker I should be looking for?

Well, it seems you like that East Coast sound. The huge problem with physically small speakers is their inability to reproduce deep bass. Below you can read more about this problem:

http://sites.psu.edu/speakerdesign/2013/01/24/hoffmans-iron-laws-of-speaker-building/

So to get decent bass in small inefficient speakers, you need a powerful amp (i.e. 100 wpc). Fortunately 100 wpc channel amps are cheap these days. There are a number you can get for less than $200 delivered.

For speakers, I'd recommend AR-4's, smaller Advents, Baby Advent etc. These speakers all sacrifice efficency for bass extension with their small size.

Hope this helps...
Regards,
Jerry

I don't think you can do much better than a series I or II Infinity Infinitesimal in terms of performance/size. It's got a Watkins dual voice coil woofer and an EMIT tweeter. I'm running a pair of series II right now, along with some brushed silver faced AIWA 22 series mini components (35 wpc), and the sound is incredible.

bs

How small is "small?" When I think small, I'm thinking about the size of, say, Bose 301. Which, by the way will deliver the kind of rich sound you are seeking for very little money.

And I'm assuming you want vintage? Really need a little more info.

GeeDeeEmm

Actually new speakers would be fine. By small I'd say 18 inches or shorter. The AR 4x is where I'm headed as of now but I'm curious about newer speakers that might work that could be smaller. I'm likely to run these with the STR 6060.

I second the NHT option.

I have several pair of SuperOnes and find them to be well made, good sounding and easy to listen to all day at any volume.

While the do have a surprising amount of bass for their size, the addition of a sub is certainly worth considering.

They are also available used at very reasonable prices which may leave room in your budget for a sub.

Keep in mind that our ears are less sensitive to high and low frequencies at low volumes. That's why they used to include "loudness" buttons. You may need to look at electronic compensation for these issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

Keep in mind that our ears are less sensitive to high and low frequencies at low volumes. That's why they used to include "loudness" buttons. You may need to look at electronic compensation for these issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves
Good point and good catch on the OP. You might want to pick up a vintage receiver with a good loudness curve if you do not have one. My Realistic STA-2000 has the most aggressive loudness compensation of any receiver I have ever owned. Would be great for low levels.

Thanks....this is kind of what I had in mind....do you think these would be ok with ought a sub?
Another +1 for NHT.

I have a pair of NHT Super Zeros on my desk at work. They're tiny and sound excellent at any volume. For anything other than voice/podcasts/National Public Radio, a sub is necessary. A dual 8" sub under the desk dials in nicely.

There is something about NHT that I really like. I went to their web site and the low-key well written information reminded me of classic AR and Allison. The NHT C3 has some excellent reviews, especially a review in Audioaholics where the reviewer details the unpacking and setting up process. we are talking about close to a thousand dollars for the pair.

You are a New Englander in your choice of sound; meet another one! My granddaughter is still using my AR4x speakers from the 60's and I have a pair of KLH Six speakers in my basement.

I think Other choices to the NHT would be KEF Q300's or Ls50's $600-$1,200

On the budget front, nothing can beat my Dayton B625 Air with that beautiful AMT tweeter selling for $70 a pair. Of course they do not have bass response by themselves. I don't miss the bass because I am listening to music where the midrange and top end are important such as violin concertos. But, oh those highs!

Have fun, no matter what you go with!

I ran some NHT SuperZeros in my office for a while and liked them quite a bit in nearfield at low volume. For serious listening they could use a little help on the lower octaves, but you don't really want rumbling bass in an office setting. I recently replaced them with some Overnight Sensations, which are even better. I highly recommend Overnight Sensations if you're OK with DIY.

I've also got a set of Mission 700LE that, despite the somewhat thin cabinet, put out a surprisingly accurate sound with respectable bass.

I would recommend the DCM CX-17s or KLH Model 900Bs. The 900Bs are the only KLHs of the newer models that I ever were worth a damn.

Back
Top Bottom