Speaker ID help needed.

ericross3

Anyone recognize these guys? No badges/labels of any kind. Drivers are "black tarred" in. I would guess something like Knight, Utah, or Goodmans? Been looking around for pics of something similar can't quite find a match. They likely could be F&H house brand.

Any information or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you. Eric

Attachments

• IMG_20171119_200357.jpg
    IMG_20171119_200357.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 69
That's strange.

Pried the grill off the other speaker; different driver layout.

I thought, well, maybe these we're homemade.

Then I thought about the inspection stamp on the back.

Have to be from the factory, right?

If these passed inspection, wow, tolerances have changed!

They couldn't be designed this way, right?

Also, saw "45" stamped at the top of each.

Any comments, thoughts, or information would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20171120_183436.jpg
    IMG_20171120_183436.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20171120_183340.jpg
    IMG_20171120_183340.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20171120_183427.jpg
    IMG_20171120_183427.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 16
I have seen factory built speakers with different baffle configurations of the same drivers. Dynaco A25 comes to mind.

Your speakers could be from two different batches, and things might have changed between the runs.

With Dynaco A25’s, I couldn't really hear the difference.

I have the same Ikea step stool. Its a sturdy little sucker. Lol

They look like inexpensive house brand style speakers from the 1960's or 70's. The drivers look like fairly generic off the shelf cheapies that were most likely made either in the USA or possibly Japan. The cross-overs are probably made of single, inexpensive, tiny N/P electrolytic capacitors on the midrange and tweeter lead wires.

The differing baffle configurations are just bizarre and a lack of consistency is usually not a good sign regarding production quality. Replacing the cross-over capacitors with new, better quality units may help improve the sound quality a bit but the drivers themselves will be the limiting factor on overall sound quality as the cabinets look to be of good construction. I would expect these to be mid-fi speakers at best and the garage is the perfect place for them! (lol)

I have seen factory built speakers with different baffle configurations of the same drivers. Dynaco A25 comes to mind.

Your speakers could be from two different batches, and things might have changed between the runs.

With Dynaco A25’s, I couldn't really hear the difference.

I have the same Ikea step stool. Its a sturdy little sucker. Lol
They are sturdy!
I have kicked the s&* t outta the one in the picture.

BTW. These speakers sound pretty good.

Should be good with some of my tube amps.

They look like inexpensive house brand style speakers from the 1960's or 70's. The drivers look like fairly generic off the shelf cheapies that were most likely made either in the USA or possibly Japan. The cross-overs are probably made of single, inexpensive, tiny N/P electrolytic capacitors on the midrange and tweeter lead wires.

The differing baffle configurations are just bizarre and a lack of consistency is usually not a good sign regarding production quality. Replacing the cross-over capacitors with new, better quality units may help improve the sound quality a bit but the drivers themselves will be the limiting factor on overall sound quality as the cabinets look to be of good construction. I would expect these to be mid-fi speakers at best and the garage is the perfect place for them! (lol)

Oh, they're cheaply made alright.

You nailed it on the crossover construction (I managed to get a squawker out), except there was also a cheap resistor in with the cheap 'lytics.

Back
Top Bottom