Speaker ID please

Big_Walleye

I picked these up the other day for a song. I have no idea what they are. They sound quite good. Drivers on 2 sides a la epi but I don't think they are epi.

Any ideas? 2018-03-21 11.16.29.jpg

No labels at all?

How about pulling a woofer and tweeter and getting some numbers and pics of the backs, and crossovers? Might help at least ID who made the drivers for them.

Could be a DIY ? Looking at where the edge of the baffles meet gives me a DIY vibe. Pull the drivers and see, I bought a Radio shack tweeter that looked identical to those years ago.

Could be a DIY ? Looking at where the edge of the baffles meet gives me a DIY vibe. Pull the drivers and see, I bought a Radio shack tweeter that looked identical to those years ago.
Lots of Tweeters looked like that not just the Shacks.Pretty basic :)

There are no labels whatsoever. I had a woofer out and no help there either. They look like a factory cabinet to me.

Not at all sure, but I seem to remember Olsen making a Design Acoustics D series knock-off that looked a bit like this.

137, manuf. code for CTS, very common OEM maker of drivers used by others.

Let's see, is 7409 a date code, 9th week of 1974? Consistent with age of similar EPI speakers.

They do not look to be the holy grail but if they sound good, by all means, play em! Could probably benefit from some new caps inside, at this age.

I found the CTS info from googling the numbers. They look almost like the drivers that AR used.

The drivers are wired in parallel, so I'm a little concerned about playing them. They read 3.4 on my vom.

My first thought was RtR too, they used those tweeters in some of their speakers. The woofer looks very similar to the ones in 2 different sets that I had. If you can shoot pics of the crossover, it might help they used some brand of cap that were always black.

I don't have a pic right now, but they are the spring type that push straight in and the wire goes through the hole from the top.

Are they inset like these, but with spring terminals? I replaced this one with binding posts.. some had a silver backing instead of the gold on this one.

Attachments

• RtR 021.jpg
    RtR 021.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 47
I had 4 speakers similar to that that were made by Scott. They had the terminal plates on the bottom and were intended for a Quad system I believe. Got them with a 4 Channel Quad amp that was so darn cool I should have never sold it. So rare I can't even find a pic of it and don't remember what the model number was.

Odd that 4 ohm woofers would be wired in parallel. Just to be clear, did you have them disconnected when measuring? If connected in parallel and you measure across one of them, you would actually be measuring the two in parallel.

Back
Top Bottom