Speaker ID...?

Danzilla

Hey. I'm dealing with someone online and all I have to go on is the picture they posted. Anyone ID these from just that? Look somewhat unique, so I figure I'd ask here. TIA!

UPDATE: Okay, ID'd as Technics SB-E500, and the picture pulled from pinterest. Just posted a followup about them and the seller, if anyone's interested.

mysteryspeakers.jpg

Related question, is there a special name for that kind of speaker? When they stick the horns on externally?

Last edited:
Technics SB-E500, and that photo is from Pinterest. It’s not new, so ask for photos of the actual speakers in their possession.
Those are referred to as Linear Phase.

Last edited:
well, that was fast. :p Thanks. Though I think he was just pulling my leg. I noticed the picture he used was from a public blog.
BTW, any guesses what a fair price, or price range would be?

Last edited:
Technics SB-E500, and that photo is from Pinterest. It’s not new, so ask for photos of the actual speakers in their possession.
Those are referred to as Linear Phase.

FYI for anyone curious, he had advertised them just as "brown floor woofer speakers" with "don't know if they work" as they had belonged to a relative. So it's not like he was pushing the model and brand to get people worked up over nothing. He did get back to me and says he just grabbed a picture online to show what he was selling (though making it hard for anyone to gauge the actual condition.) He also says the speakers were "ripped", making me wonder if just the surrounds were bad and he didn't know what he had.
But I never found out their real condition. Supposedly someone else offered more ahead of me so he sold them for.... $200 first thing this morning (when the buyer rushed over, I'm guessing). A price I would have topped, but he didn't give me that opportunity. So now I'm disappointed and still don't really know if he ever had them. :D

Last edited:
Doubt you missed anything, meaning I’d bet he never had those. I mean it’s just as easy to take your own pic as it is to go online and pilfer someone else’s. Another reason; these sell for $6-7k in top order.

Doubt you missed anything, meaning I’d bet he never had those. I mean it’s just as easy to take your own pic as it is to go online and pilfer someone else’s. Another reason; these sell for $6-7k in top order.
Interesting... I was just thinking about that likelihood of taking a picture vs copy & paste. At what age do you think it's easier for people to use their phones and take a pic to post vs desktop/laptop with copied pic? I'm in my 40s and feel it's about even, depending on where I am and what I'm doing (item in the garage and I'm already on the computer...?). Probably anyone that grew up with smartphones would just take a pic and probably wouldn't even consider looking for an existing image. So say under 25 take new pic. 25 to maybe 55 balanced depending on situation. 55+ mostly much more comfortable just using a in place computer rather than take a pic and transfer it from their phone. Am I missing anything?

*I'm ignoring Apple iCloud users mostly because I think everyone should (ignore Apple, that is.)

I think that’s a hard stat to create without conducting a full on national survey.
Any of the smartphone users (I feel) would just snap a pic. There’s over two billion smartphones out there between Android and iOS alone. For those strictly computer bound, stealing images may be to a higher percentage, unless you’re a shutterbug. Then loading images onto a computer is second nature.
Additionally anyone owning them (the speakers) in still great shape was probably into tech then and I’d imagine still would be today enough to know what’s going on and how to navigate it. They were expensive and exclusive then and now. And any company representing any sale with them in it would have looked them up or hired someone to help with the valuation. As an instance, I am on call for many estate sale companies to help with pricing when audio oddballs come in.
Third thing, I will occasionally use a file photo, but will always mention which is a file photo vs my own. Others aren’t as transparent because they probably don’t have the item. That last aspect is not new to online selling. I’ve popped many frauds over the years.

i'm 58 and would never use a "borrowed" pic to sell something.... it takes little time to transfer a pic to the pc
but i have used "borrowed" pics here in conversational threads

He borrowed that pic, but these are the speakers he actually had...

ybb1n9red7prjiafchve.jpg

...at least that is what I would tell myself.

Interesting... I was just thinking about that likelihood of taking a picture vs copy & paste. Am I missing anything?

You are. Google "brown floor woofer speakers". Nine pics show up, none of them even close. Even without quotes it doesn't show up in the hundreds of speaker pics that come up. He had to know what he was selling to find that pic to match up with what he "had". Taking a pic would be much quicker than coming up with a matching pic not knowing what they were.
I agree with Ds2000, he probably never had them.

You are. Google "brown floor woofer speakers"...
He had to know what he was selling to find that pic to match up with what he "had".
I agree with Ds2000, he probably never had them.
Er, I wasn't saying he didn't know the model number. It's right there on the front of the speakers, making it simple enough for anyone to search for a picture. It is however conceivable he had no idea of their value. Having received them from an older relative and as such had no idea what he had. Even if he did google the speakers searching for value references, they're not all that easy to find. I did the same and only mentions of prices I came up with were in foreign currency. So while possible to figure out, a lazy person could well have just not bothered.

Yes, still a good chance he never had them. Just saying it's not a sure thing.

Back
Top Bottom