Speaker level to line level converter; how bad the distortion is? (plus crazy idea)

Receivers used:
Pioneer vsx-108
Fisher Rs-636
RCA stereo receiver RV-371F
Pioneer stereo receiver VSV-514-K
Pioneer VSX-501
Yamaha HTR-5920
Technics SA-DX950
Kenwood KR-V5580

Power Amps used:
Kenwood Km-208 Power Amplifier
AB precedent 900A power amp
QSC 1700
JBL/UREI 6260 power amp
AB precedent ER2500LX
Crown macro-tech 2400

Ahhh! another AB International fan! I have a AB precedent 1100A i picked up to power a set of SMGA's . Good stuff!
" And now back to your regular program"

Ahhh! another AB International fan! I have a AB precedent 1100A i picked up to power a set of SMGA's . Good stuff!
" And now back to your regular program"
Yeah,that is my first ever power amp ever! Fell in love with it immediately

I turned down the bass on the Sanyo quad and it seemed to help. I'll continue to adjust if necessary.

I've had a couple of Sansui quads... the best one being the QRX5500. I found out later that the best vario-matrix appeared in later Sansui quads... maybe starting with the 7000 on up. But don't quote me on that. You could post that question in the General forum... I'm sure someone would be able to tell you which units have the TOTL vario-matrix.

I A/B'd my Sanyo quad with the QRX5500... to my amazement, the Sanyo had better separation all around... L to R and Front to Back. I couldn't believe it and tried to talk myself out of the Sanyo, but the difference was so great that I ended up selling the 5500. I would have loved to have kept it... the most beautiful receiver I've ever had... and quite the beast.
Unfortunately, Sanyo 3300KA is pretty hard to find on ebay. :(

How about DCA 1500X instead?

As for line level converters, that one from Crutchfield looks to be the best/most stout. But they want $40 for it.
I need to buy three for 5.1 AV receiver. For that amount of money, what do you think about Behringer Ultra DI Pro 1800 instead?

It's been over a year since the last post on this topic so I am guessing nobody will read it but anyway. I need line outputs from my AVR also but for a different purpose. I have a pair of really old but I think great DBX Soundfield 10 speakers. The problem is they need active equalisation else they sound very poor. In the old days I could take either the pre-amp out of the AVR or the tape record out into the equalizer. These days only high-end AVR's have pre-out and mine isn't one. So I need to take the speaker outs from the front channel, attenuate the signal and feed it into the equalizer. I can then take the output from the equalizer and feed it into another power amp to drive my front channels in my Atmos seutp. The circuits don't look too hard to build so I might give it a go.

I need to take the speaker outs from the front channel, attenuate the signal and feed it into the equalizer. I can then take the output from the equalizer and feed it into another power amp to drive my front channels in my Atmos seutp. The circuits don't look too hard to build so I might give it a go.
Given a choice, I'd use a transformer coupler rather than a resistor network.

In fact, "I" would be looking for one of the Carver or Soundcraftsman impedance-matchers as described previously in this thread.

I didn't watch this video with the sound turned on. Therefore, I'm only suggesting it as a reference for how the Carver Z-1 looks.

[EDIT]
http://www.hifi-manuals.com/Carver/Z-1/downloads
Ooops. I guess there's no transformer in there after all. [/EDIT]
Nice schematic, though.

Last edited:
...So I need to take the speaker outs from the front channel, attenuate the signal and feed it into the equalizer. I can then take the output from the equalizer and feed it into another power amp to drive my front channels in my Atmos seutp. The circuits don't look too hard to build so I might give it a go.
Yes, not too hard to build and it will give you the signal you want.

My Marantz 3300 preamp, (1974) has provisions for returned speaker signal from an amplifier. This is how the preamp can control 2 sets of speakers (system 1, system 2, both or none). The "none" position is then routed to the phono jack for headphone use.

The 3300 also has a center channel tap that is powered by the stereo power amplifier, that thru resistors and a volume control, create a summed mono channel (L + R) and outputs that thru a rear RCA jack. I use this system in my 3 channel stereo system using a Marantz MA-500 mono block power amp to drive the 3rd speaker.

There is no detectable distortion. BTW, 3 channel is really fun, mains on the side walls, center channel on the front wall. I use this system to listen to classical music or pipe organ music.

Obtaining line-level outputs, typically < 1 V PP, from speaker outputs requires an attenuator (voltage divider).

A single-attenuation L-pad (two resistors) provides constant impedance for the amplifier, but not the driven device, whereas a single-attenuation T-pad (three resistors) provides constant impedance for both sides.

This is a trivial build. Search for L-pad or T-pad calculators which will provide you with resistor values. Some tinkering may be required to map those ideal values onto actual resistor values available in the marketplace.

Another approach is using an L-pad for variable attenuation for a fixed-load resistor, which has the advantage of being able to reduce the driving voltage to avoid overloading the input.. Plus it's already built!

Why not just tap off the volume control to a unused disconnected input/output RCA jacks with 2 shielded cables ?

Over the past years, I`ve done this successfully, usually, if easily determined visually, especially if the frontend(preamp section is circuit board is separated, breaking into the receiver/integrated amps preamp to the internal amp section input feed ..

Always thought it would be cleaner, & easier then padding down the amplifiers higher voltage swing output stage, with it`s often higher distortion voltage to feed external amplifiers..

Has worked for me in the past with very good results..

I did it with to a Radio Shack ST-2700 receiver to drive 2 mono configured Crown DC 300`s, driving my Mac XRT-18 speakers, until I could afford a Mac preamp, 3 years later in my bedroom audio system.

Life can be a modification, and when done well, can be undone, with none the wiser, outside the "perp".

Just some noise from me, after doing it out in the field a 1/2 dozen or so times, and here on occasion with my own equipment when pressed for time and money..

Go with whatever works with your situation, and skills, folks.

Why more than one?

One for each channel? This is not to drive a sub but to drive an external equalizer for my speakers that need equalisation. Modern AVR's don't have line outputs since the signal appears to stay in the digital domain until it hits the power amp stage and onl higher-end amps provide an analogue pre-amp out signal.

Given a choice, I'd use a transformer coupler rather than a resistor network.

In fact, "I" would be looking for one of the Carver or Soundcraftsman impedance-matchers as described previously in this thread.

I didn't watch this video with the sound turned on. Therefore, I'm only suggesting it as a reference for how the Carver Z-1 looks.

[EDIT]
http://www.hifi-manuals.com/Carver/Z-1/downloads
Ooops. I guess there's no transformer in there after all. [/EDIT]
Nice schematic, though.

I actually found one of the Carver units for sale online in a forum and bought it. I probably could have built the circuit myself but at least I know the Carver was designed for this purpose and will work.

Back
Top Bottom