Speaker marketing

WildWest

Let me just ramble here a bit if I may...
Some of you may know of a speaker made by a company called Swan. Diva speakers. Yea, you prolly saw them and the very loooong threads related to them over at the AVS forum. Ask anyone there and these speakers are the best money can buy at the price point. Frankly if you hung around there they would have you believe that no other speaker is even worth owning except them. It really got quite deep. But hey, glad they like them.

Anyway, so along comes Mr. Law Suit and B & W jumps all over everyone including the Diva line for the cabinet top mount exterior tweeter. Well geeeee can't make our speaker anymore so lets just make a new company, new speaker and tell them all it is now the best. In a nutshell that's about all they did.
Sure enough, everyone jumps on the marketing band wagon over there and now the Rocket line of speaker is the very best and nothing can touch it. Personlly I would refuse to be such a sheep. Yea, that Diva line would be running strong still and they all would be standing behind it to this day if B & W didn't step in. Now everyone is trying to pawn off the Diva's they just bought only last year for the untested Rocket line. And untested it is too. They are still changing out the crossovers in it with the Beta testers they have out there.

You bet...The fellow that sells those speakers is truely sharp and I give him all the credit in the world. Some people are just marketing geniuses. I have seen the Rockets first hand and they are a nice speaker. But that is not the point here. I guess I just hate that "blind following" that people will do no matter what ya know? "Diva by Swan! Nothing is better, nothing will be better, they are the best!" "Opps, uhhhh we didn't do our homework and got sued." " No problem. Just slam out another speaker, call it the best and they will follow". Sorry, I was born at night...Just wasn't last night! It all makes me want to... :puke:

Last edited:
WW,

I know what you mean, when I just started to get back into this audio thing a couple of years ago I would read the boards on AR and AA daily.

There was always one speaker brand that was 'hot' and the more I read the more I thought I have to have these speakers! I remember the Norh brand in particular, it was like there was no other speakers around but this one!

Then, wait a while and it would be another speaker. I started to see it was like 'speaker of the week.'

I saw how easy it was to get caught up in the frenzy and swallow the hype whole.

WW,

Sh*t man, they stole my product name. I was gonna use the moniker "Rocket". for a speaker product I am working on for the marketplace. I hadn't registered it.

No prob, I've decided on a different name for my proposed product line already anyhow.

Your observation about the bandwagon effect in human psychology is spot on BTW.

Rob

The best "new" speakers I have heard, actually the only ones that really impressed me, not that I have a chance to listen to all kinds living up here in the woods, they impressed me so much that I would like 4 of them for a HT setup, and I actually might buy someone a pair for Xmas, I really couldn't believe how good these $200 a pair speakers sounded, this is the longest sentence in history, the speakers I call the best bang for the $$$ are the Paradigm Titans

The Titans were what I went with the first (and actually last :dunno: ) time I bought a set of speakers brand new. They are unmatched in their price range IMO, and are unmatched even for twice the price.

Back
Top Bottom