Speaker match with mcintosh 7106

Normo

I might be able to get Pro AC response 3.8 speakers. Would these match up well with the Macintosh? I do have a bunch of older speakers hanging out in the basement including klipsh lascalas, bozak 302 b moorish cabs, snell EII, various KLH including 5 and 6, but all need work and they are in the basement and the Macintosh is upstairs and bad back issues preclude me from bringing them up. Compared to these older speakers that all need some work, is the Pro AC reponse 3.8 a step up? Choice of music is vinyl, classical ,rock , jazz, folk, the usual mix. Thanks. Norm

It will be plenty of power if you use the channels bridged or to bi-amp. Should sound pretty good, let us know how it works out.

the power rating is around 250 watts, but with a sensitivty 88.5 db 1 watt even with three hundred watts I would pass. Plus they basically have no bass response below 40 hz. Except for a bass beak around 80 HZ which can be manipulated with proper room placement I would only use the speakers in very intimate settings as they are point source speakers. Sitting to far away would harm their ability to produce clear clean imaging and staging unless used in a very soft room acoustically.

If your listening distance is 10 ft, you would loose around 8 db of output. Or 80 db 1 watt, 100 db with 100 watts at just barely 106 db with both speakers, at full power give or take a few. That doesn't give you much head room for classical works. if you like Big Band, be it Swing, Jazz, and or Rock . I would be looking for some thing at least 6 db more efficient and is flat down to 30 HZ. Maybe some JBL.

Back
Top Bottom