Speaker placement question

DrStache

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've got a set of Klipsch 4.2's. The way the speakers are sitting against my wall has me wondering if it's the reason the bass isn't as loud out of the right speaker as the left. Imagine and "L" shaped wall. My left speaker sits in the corner of the L and the right sits along the other side where it's straight and then into open space. I'm running these on a Fisher 400 that's been restored. I haven't tried to swap the speakers to test if it's just a speaker issue but the crossovers in the speakers have been redone as well. I have to adjust the bass balance over to the 1 o'clock to even things out. I'm wondering before I do any heavy lifting if the one speaker that sits in the corner just sounds "bass'er" because the sound wave is better because it is hitting the wall and the right one doesn't? Hopefully I've explained this well enough to get some input.

Also, there isn't much of a difference in the way the horns sound as far as loudness goes.

Check that the speakers are in phase.

The positive/+/red terminal on your Fisher to the positive/+/red terminal on your Klipsch.

Do the same for the native/-/common side of the amp/speaker wiring.

It is possible that the speaker in the corner may seem to have enhanced bass due to its placement.

Imagine a square pan full of water.

Drop a marble near the corner and the ripple will eminate from the adjoining sides. The wave essentially re enforces itself.

Drop the same marble halfway along one side and the ripple eminates from just the single surface.

Clear as mud.

That makes sense. I did check phase and they're both correct. I have a feeling it's the placement. Thanks for sharing.

I've got a set of Klipsch 4.2's. The way the speakers are sitting against my wall has me wondering if it's the reason the bass isn't as loud out of the right speaker as the left. Imagine and "L" shaped wall. My left speaker sits in the corner of the L and the right sits along the other side where it's straight and then into open space. I'm running these on a Fisher 400 that's been restored. I haven't tried to swap the speakers to test if it's just a speaker issue but the crossovers in the speakers have been redone as well. I have to adjust the bass balance over to the 1 o'clock to even things out. I'm wondering before I do any heavy lifting if the one speaker that sits in the corner just sounds "bass'er" because the sound wave is better because it is hitting the wall and the right one doesn't? Hopefully I've explained this well enough to get some input.

Also, there isn't much of a difference in the way the horns sound as far as loudness goes.

Absolutely, you will get bass enhancement in corners. I still own my old HH Scott receiver with split tone controls designed to solved this very problem. Basically, you have two options:

Boost bass in just the Right channel

Reduce bass in the Left channel

This room gain is primarily in the lowest frequencies.

Regards,
Jerry

Absolutely, you will get bass enhancement in corners. I still own my old HH Scott receiver with split tone controls designed to solved this very problem. Basically, you have two options:

Boost bass in just the Right channel

Reduce bass in the Left channel

This room gain is primarily in the lowest frequencies.

Regards,
Jerry
Thanks Jerry! I had a feeling what I was experiencing was pretty normal. I wonder how much of a strain it puts on the right channel having to keep the bass up more than the left? I guess I could leave it balanced as knowing that knob is off center completely gets into my Add, lol.

That's what tone controls are for. Use them. You can either put up with whatever issues the tone controls introduce, or put up with a shifted bass sound field. Or re-do the room/speaker interface. I would play with the tone controls, but I am far from being a purist.

Have you tried placing speakers equal distance out from L corner? A diagonal setup. Works well in square rooms also.

I had this same issue in my home. Left had a good corner while the right had nothing but open space to it's right. Problem solved by using smaller bookshelves (out from the rear wall a bit) and a sub when I need a little extra oomph.

Have you tried placing speakers equal distance out from L corner? A diagonal setup. Works well in square rooms also.
Can you explain further? I'll take a picture of my listening setup tomorrow but my space is limited. I literally don't have another wall the stuff can go against. Are you talking about having both speakers sitting in the corners and equal amount of space between the two and the tv,receiver, and turntable off to the side of them?

Can you explain further? I'll take a picture of my listening setup tomorrow but my space is limited. I literally don't have another wall the stuff can go against. Are you talking about having both speakers sitting in the corners and equal amount of space between the two and the tv,receiver, and turntable off to the side of them?
If possible, arrange your furniture such that the corner you speak of (corner of the L) is the center point of your listening position. Then put each speaker an equal distance away from that corner - say 5 to 7 feet (if you have room). Then place your equipment where you can. Note: You may want to avoid placing your turntable in the corner that is now the center between you two speakers as there would likely be a bass build-up that may cause feedback. Whether or not you can do this will depend on the size of the room and how your furniture will (or won't) fit, etc. But, if you can this type of arrangement is likely to give you better sound.

Got it. I'll post pictures tonight that kind of give you guys an idea of the limited options I have in my living room (where me stuff resides) maybe y'all can help me think of ways to arrange things.

Back
Top Bottom