Speaker placement rules of thumb

Ditto what Joe said. Multi-driver systems need considerable distance for proper blending to occur. I have to smile when I see folks using Altec A7s in the nearfield as they were designed to be listened from a considerable distance.

He and I, however, use full range electrostats where every square inch of radiating area delivers the same content, front or back. You can listen merely inches away and hear the same thing.

At the moment I'm using a pair of Maggie 1.7's. A transformer in one of my Spectra 22's self destructed. While I locate a new transformer the 3 way Maggies are it. Fortunately I sit ~11' from them so the sound is well blended by the time it reaches my ears.

At the moment I'm using a pair of Maggie 1.7's. A transformer in one of my Spectra 22's self destructed. While I locate a new transformer the 3 way Maggies are it. Fortunately I sit ~11' from them so the sound is well blended by the time it reaches my ears.
I find current "dot seven" Maggies to be particularly coherent. Perhaps not quite like the Acoustat, but close. :)

Did I tell you about former Acoustat engineer Roy Esposito who continues to work on them? He updated the interfaces on my 1+1s and replaced a bad tranny.

Thanks. I know of Roy. I didn't know he's still working on them. I must get in touch with him. A tranny is what I need replaced.

Back
Top Bottom