Speaker recommendation for Fisher CA-120 integrated amplifier

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Tezcatlipoca, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca New Member

Hi everyone,

I got a Fisher CA-120 Integrated Amplifier and an MT-6320 Turntable from a relative that I would like to use, but I do not have any speakers to connect to the amplifier. I am looking to by a pair (max. 200 USD) but since I do not know much about analog audio, I turn to the experts for advice.

For this specific amplifier, would it be better to buy a pair of vintage speakers or go for a new pair?

In case of vintage speakers, should I stick with Fisher (the word on the streets is that their speakers are not so good, but I will not be able to appreciate the difference) or which other brands/models would be suitable for this amplifier?

In case of new speakers being better, I would appreciate some suggestions of brands/models as well.

In general I am just looking for some hints so that I continue my research online, but having some pointers to things to look for would definitely help me.

Also, if this is the wrong forum for this type of question please let me know.

*Edited to add concrete questions.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Speaker brand is pretty much a matter of personal preference, what sounds good to you? That's like asking someone "I need a truck or car, what do you suggest? " you have a relatively low-power amp, it's 30 watts per side. For getting it going cheap, I'd start with something like realistic minimus-7's. Small, built tough (aluminum case), supposedly handle 40 watts, frequently show up in thrift shops for cheap. Don't go all-out on biggest speakers you can find, you may not have enough power.
    If looking at older speakers, always check the surrounds on the drivers,especially the woofers. If they're foam, high probability they're shot, unless they've been redone, or you get lucky.
    Try craigslist, garage sales, thrift shops. Lots of stuff out there. Just pay attention to power ratings, if you find a set that can handle 200 watts, also check MINIMUM power rating, too. You don't want something that your amp can't drive sufficiently. However, this thing should be easy to match up a set to.
    There's a near-endless number of makes & models of speakers out there, so search wisely. Should be able to find suitable set for $100 or less, depending on source. A set of headphones can get you in business quickly, too. Happy hunting!:bigok:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Speaker efficiency also works into the "how much speaker do i need" equation. Room size, furnishings, all work into the equation. For the Ca120, No less than 95db/1W/1M efficiency in a no more than 12'x15' room. If you can find a pair of Klipsch Heresy's for cheap they would pretty much do the trick. The minimus 7's are good for a smaller room or NEAR FIELD listening (ears within 3 ft of speakers.) OLA's, NLA's, Dynaco 25's, Most any of the 60's FISHER XP series, are all decent, but like Catmanboo said check for rotting surrounds on the woofers. If you can replace them, the most they will cost is about $50 a set for a 12" or 15" woofer. Smaller woofers are cheaper to re-surround. And stay away from the BOX STORE stuff. Most of it is no more than 91db/1w/1m efficient. And a lot fo those are 85 to 89db.

4. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Klipsch heresy for cheap? :p:p:p
    Seems like overkill for a $200 budget, make him a deal, Larry!

5. larryderouin

Hey, I got mine from Buglegirl for $200. :D But once he gets a set of Heresy's he can go up to at least 70 Watts on a stereo. I had the SX-939 cranked up to 9 on them and they didn't miss a beat. :whip:I flogged the hell out of them after the crites crossover was done. :music::music:

6. Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca New Member

Thank you both for the suggestions and for the tips on where to look carefully for damage.

My living room is not so big, I will see if I can find a pair of Realistic Minimus 7 that I can listen to and see if they do the trick. I will visit a local shop that has a good audio section during the weekend, see what I find.

In any case, I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on a pair of Klipsch Heresy. Google suggest that they ain't cheap ;)

Please register to disable this ad.

7. larryderouin

Minimus 7's would probably be ok in a smallish room, but you'll lose the bass pretty much due to woofer size. FISHER XP-55's are a good option for a smaller room. 2Way 8" woofer, 3" tweeter. And they sound decent. Craigslist is a viable option for getting speakers locally depending on where you are.