Speaker recommendations for MC7270

Hey Chevy,

I have a pair of ADS L1590 that I have been running with my MC275 MKV for about 7 years. Fantastic speakers. I tried to spend a lot of money and upgrade them but I never found a current pair that I felt the cost justified the incremental if any improvement over the ADS. One speaker that I was impressed on we're a pair of Nola Viper II which your Alons are predecessors. They were just too ugly and expensive so I passed. I recently had the crossovers updated by Richard So who is the go to repairman for all things ADS And felt it was a real improvement. PM me if you want any more color.

Cheers
I

Hey Chevy,

I have a pair of ADS L1590 that I have been running with my MC275 MKV for about 7 years. Fantastic speakers. I tried to spend a lot of money and upgrade them but I never found a current pair that I felt the cost justified the incremental if any improvement over the ADS. One speaker that I was impressed on we're a pair of Nola Viper II which your Alons are predecessors. They were just too ugly and expensive so I passed. I recently had the crossovers updated by Richard So who is the go to repairman for all things ADS And felt it was a real improvement. PM me if you want any more color.

Cheers
I

Thanks for the response and feedback. I appreciate it. I checked out the speakers the other night and decided to pass (for now). They are rosewood cabinets and are gorgeous. They sounded great on his Hafler 140w power amp combo. I'm going to wait and be picky as I'm looking for something in a black ash cabinet (or piano black). My OCD would get the best of me ;)

How much sound do you think two 6.5 inch woofers can produce. Not much. If you read the specs it says the speakers can handle 250 watts if the amp doesn't clip. So that means on the optimistic side the speakers are rated at from 62 to 130 watts continuously. Now being optimistic lets say the woofers can handle 66% of the power, So thats 40 to 90 watts before they become non linear. So if the woofer reproduce 66% of the sound that would be about a hair over 87 db at 1 watt. With 107 db being very optimistic at 100 watts. Those speakers are very dynamically challenged. You need another 8 db some might say10 or 13 db capability. And by possibly placing over 300 watts on the woofers you cause them to over heat increasing the impedance making them even more non linear. B&W speakers are designed first for accuracy in small european room environments , not listening at high levels as we Americans tend to do some times. So find your some American speakers with a couple of 12 or 15 inch woofers with 96+ db efficiency and enjoy the sounds. This is the same old Klipsch / AR argument that started in the 50's. There is no way ported small drivers can equal horn loaded speakers when trying to replicate live concert levels.

Last edited:
I wish some one like consumer reports had the balls to nail consumer hifi manufacturers for their mis representation of products they sell to the consumer. I am not saying a 803 is a bad speaker, its far from it, but there should be a grading system for folks to easily follow. As to the distortion levels, room interface capability, and level capability in different types and sizes of rooms. If you will go to the Mcintosh discussion venue on this site and use the how much power do you need calcualator . Assuming 100 watts at 10 ft your system is only capable of 103 .3 db with 2 speakers operating. So much for my optimism. You have plenty of power, and great power. You just need the right speakers. Maybe 10 db more efficient. Klipsch Cornwall.

I have the rosewood 1590's. They are usually more sought after than the black ones I think. If I only needed a second pair. :idea:

Anyway....I drive them with ease at loud levels on a valve amp. Too bad you can't try them with your amp just to hear them and then seek the black pair. Guess the seller wouldn't be stoked about that....

How much sound do you think two 6.5 inch woofers can produce. Not much. If you read the specs it says the speakers can handle 250 watts if the amp doesn't clip. So that means on the optimistic side the speakers are rated at from 62 to 130 watts continuously. Now being optimistic lets say the woofers can handle 66% of the power, So thats 40 to 90 watts before they become non linear. So if the woofer reproduce 66% of the sound that would be about a hair over 87 db at 1 watt. With 107 db being very optimistic at 100 watts. Those speakers are very dynamically challenged. You need another 8 db some might say10 or 13 db capability. And by possibly placing over 300 watts on the woofers you cause them to over heat increasing the impedance making them even more non linear. B&W speakers are designed first for accuracy in small european room environments , not listening at high levels as we Americans tend to do some times. So find your some American speakers with a couple of 12 or 15 inch woofers with 96+ db efficiency and enjoy the sounds. This is the same old Klipsch / AR argument that started in the 50's. There is no way ported small drivers can equal horn loaded speakers when trying to replicate live concert levels.

I understand what you are saying. For the time being though, I really am content with the B&W 803 Matrix. I do wish it had a tad more depth in the living room I have them set up in. That's only when I get the urge to play it at loud levels like you mentioned. It's a tough challenge finding an aesthetically pleasing speaker, efficient, and something of quality. You have to give and take.

For now, the B&W gives me the accurate detail with the Mac that I'm after. Just a bit shy on the listening levels though. If I want to rock and roll or get the mojo moving I just simply resort to my Pioneer SPEC rack system with HPM-100's.

I know this is an old thread, but had a question regarding the 8-ohm and 4-ohm taps on the MC7270. I have a cherry 7270 that mainly stayed in the box it's entire lifetime! I probably has about 200 hours on it total, and most of those were put on by me. On my B&W 804 Matrix speakers, I seem to be missing something with the sound, especially bass punch. The bass is there, and deep, but I seem to be missing midbass? Anyway, hard to describe, and not sure if I'm even describing it correctly. Some have recommended on the 803 Matrix speakers, to plug into the 4-ohm tap. Would there be any benefit at all in plugging my B&W 804 Matrix speakers into the McIntosh 7270's 4-ohm tap?

Also, anybody still using their 7270? How do you like them, and any best practices?

Thanks in advance!

I always considered them to be 4 ohm speakers in spite of the BS from the marketing department. I believe there was a Stereophile review that showed the impedance dropped below 4 ohms in the upper bass when they tested them.

MC7270 advice....yes use it! Sitting in the box does more harm than good when you think of the chemical reaction that keeps the electrolytic caps fresh.

I know how old this thread is and that the OP probably isn't around any more but I just had to say that when I had a 7270 I used it to run a set of Kappa 9's, the original Amp Killers lol, and it ran them with ease on the 4 ohm taps. And I would play that combo LOUD !!!

IMG_0845.jpg

I too have used 7270s. I ran two of them in mono mode, giving 540 watts per channel (at rated output - probably closer to 600 watts per channel real output).
I used Legacy Signature IIIs.
I "cranked up" the volume when I first got them to see what would happen. By the time the limiter lights came one - it was too loud for me.
I cannot imagine anyone with reasonable hearing having a problem with 7270s not having enough power. But then - I ran a 400 amp electrical service to my house when it was built - I have never had a problem with the utility company letting me down.
If the OP still has a problem, he may want to "upgrade" the amp limitation on the power company feed to his house.
Thanks,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom