Current gear...
Marantz 2230
Technics SL1200 MK2
Klipsch RF3 II
Preferred Genre, Classic Rock, Female Jazz, etc

Looking for ideas on a speaker upgrade (floor standing) under $1000
Any ideas would be welcome
Thanks...

Do you want current manufacture or classic speakers? Do you have enough room for something with a larger footprint, something the size of some Cornwalls or Fortes?

GeeDeeEmm

Im open to suggestions...does not necessarily need t be vintage/classic, current footprint are my Klipshs'...not a lot more room for anything too much larger

I've used my 2230 with KLH 5 speakers. It worked well in my 15' x 18' room listening to Ben Webster, Chet Baker, and similar jazz.

What would constitute an upgrade for you? What do you wish your current speakers did differently?

If you even only occasionally crank up the volume to high SPLs, then you need good sensitivity - which you have now. Many other highly sensitive speakers will have wider profiles, taking up more floor space.

If you are looking for, say, a smoother, more accurate response, the question may become one of whether you have enough power to get what you want volume-wise. I went from Klipsch to Monitor Audio in my main rig, and am very happy with the sound, but also have plenty of power on tap - more than I use, for sure. A brand new pair of their Bronze 5 would be in your budget, and could be worth your consideration with their high-tech drivers, but you'd be giving up some sensitivity. Which brings us back to those first two questions.

You can probably find some Goldenear Tritons on the used market at around $1k. I've got Triton 1's and 2's and love them. Moderately high sensitivity at around 90-92dB depending on the model. musichal has some great questions. What are your desires from an upgrade?
Good hunting,
John

Hmmmmm....
Nice budget.
Low power Vintage
Tower...maybe.
Doesn't need to be vintage.

Tons of options if you go fairly new or recent and they may be a bit more efficient for that 30 watts.
most vintage larger speakers up in you budget will likely be not very efficient unless it is something like horns. With those in vintage you are probably getting really big.
How about those new JBL's? Studio 580 is it?

Emotiva T2. Right at your limit, 91db efficiency, so should be drivable to fairly decent levels by your equipment. Well reviewed.

Floor standers under $1000 and low power, maybe Klipsch Chorus II, especially if you like the Klipsch sound.

Also look at Chane Music's A5.4. 90db sensitivity, $880 for a pair. There's a wait on them, though. Still, highly rated for the price. Q Acoustic Concept 40, right at $1000 a pair and another 90db at 1w/1m speaker.

My vote (to spend your money, haha) would be Tekton Lores. If I didn't have such great speakers here, I would own Tekton.

My vote (to spend your money, haha) would be Tekton Lores. If I didn't have such great speakers here, I would own Tekton.

Not certain of the truth of it as I don't own any Tektons, but it seems based on Stereophile Magazine and others' measures they aren't nearly as sensitive as claimed in some cases. Like, claiming 92db, measuring 86db, that kind of thing. Big difference.

Your Klipsch RF3 II are rated at 98db efficiency - gonna be hard to match (possiby) unless you stick with Klipsch. Which brings us to @musichal 's questions: What would constitute an upgrade for you? What do you wish your current speakers did differently?

Not certain of the truth of it as I don't own any Tektons, but it seems based on Stereophile Magazine and others' measures they aren't nearly as sensitive as claimed in some cases. Like, claiming 92db, measuring 86db, that kind of thing. Big difference.

The Lores and Zu Omens share the same 10" Eminence driver and 3.5 watts were more than enough power for my Omens.

Thanks for the confirmation Pg. Sensitivity is based on the woofer and the Eminence is well into the 90s.

Wasn't trying to be troublesome, just read earlier today some of their numbers might be off and was passing it along. Given your experience I'm sure the models you recommend would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom