Speaker selectors...what's the lowdown

tomlinmgt

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My Hafler DH-500 is just a two channel amp. I'd like to be able to audition or even listen to more than just one pair of speakers at a time. A fellow AKer recommended a speaker selector in another thread. I've been researching and it looks like Niles and Adcom are the most readily available well-built pieces in the used market. I'd like to know if one has a better reputation with reliability and performance than the other. Also, is there any signal quality loss through these things?

Last edited:
ARRRGGHGHH, my long winded response got wiped out! Suffice it to say I am upgrading from a Niles 6 speaker selector to a Rotel RSS-900 this week. The Rotel has 5 way binding posts to accept banana plugs which hopefully will keep the various pairs of speaker wire from crossing one another.
The Niles has spring loaded speaker connectors and the Adcoms, from what I saw, had the Turn & Lock style connectors. One feature on the Rotel is that your Main speakers are in "Direct Mode" with virtually no signal degradation. Check out the Rotel website for more info.

Theoretically, EVERYTHING can cause some degree of signal quality loss. However, the higher the signal and the better quality the gear (in terms of things like wire, soldering, switches and connectors), the less chance there is of there being any audible degree of signal loss. Better-designed selectors will have circuitry that minimizes or offsets any potential signal distortion or loss, and should have little-to-no discernible effect. A selector interposed in a line carrying a weak signal, such as that from a turntable, could have a big impact; one selecting between speakers (e.g., passing a high level signal) would have much less impact on the sound.

All that said, a purist will always seek to have minimal potential disruption to the signal, and won't use a selector unless the convenience of using one outweighs the potential signal degradation.

The Adcom selector is quite good; I have no experience with the Niles, but the brand has a good reputation. Entech (I think that is the correct spelling-?) also makes some good ones, in heavy professional cases.

You might also consider system selectors, which allow selection of not only different speakers, but also different sources and amplifiers. They can be very handy if you have a large collection of gear that you want to keep in regular use, or try in different combinations to seek synergies. Of course, using them means using a lot more cable, which can get expensive. If you have a typical vintage system, there are vintage-era silver-fronted ones from Sony, Pioneer, and other brands that blend well cosmetically. Be prepared for cleaning and re-soldering, though, and perhaps even re-wiring, to make them transparent enough for a revealing system. Most of them have rhodium-plated connectors, whereas the newer hi-fi ones like the Adcom have gold plating over rhodium, as gold doesn't tarnish.

Whatever brand you try, make sure to periodically clean the contacts well with DeOxit and ProGold, to ensure the signal passes through the connectors with minimal degradation.

If you can arrange it, I'd suggest A/B testing the sound with and without the speaker selector in line, to see if you find any detectable loss of sonic quality. In a really revealing system, the difference may be audible, but with a good-quality selector like the Adcom, in most systems it usually won't be.

That's a long-winded way of not really answering your question (sorry!)... maybe someone else will have A/B'd the Adcom and the Niles, and can give a better answer.

EDIT: Looks like RT Fan types faster than I do...! :D

There can be signal quality loss...

I run an Adcom 6 speaker selector with 3 pairs, soon to be 4, connected to it. One pair in the garage, one pair basement, and one pair in my listening room. When listening to multiple pairs because my mains are 4 ohms I use the speaker protection circuitry which is a separate button on the Adcom. You can hear a difference and its not good. However when using multiple pairs it's just for background music as I walk from one room to the next. It's great for A/B ing speakers without the protection circuit engaged but probably not so good for simultaneously listening. Might be OK without using protection circuit if your speakers are 8 ohm. Sounds great just listening to one pair.

I use both Adcom and Niles. I prefer the Adcom but the Niles are a little cheaper and work well. Yes, with the protection set in the on position there is about 3db loss but it is minimal. I also have an older Niles that allows not only multiple speakers but two sources that are also switchable.

If you can find it, Adcom made a really solid "audiophile" switcher called a GFS-4. As you can guess, it had four sets of outputs (all on 5-way binding posts) and no protection circuitry (read: power resistors)

It won't protect a receiver or amplifier when driving 4 pairs of speakers at once, but it's a nice way to listen to a pair at a time with minimal loss

Haven't seen anyone mention Russound yet. I sold and installed them for years, and found them to be very reliable.

http://www.russound.com/speakerselector_overview.php

Be aware that most speaker switchers on the market today use autoformers for impedance matching, since most people who use these devices are using them to drive 2 to 12 pairs of speakers, all from a single 2-channel amp. If you use a resistive box for more than 4 pairs, the losses to the protection resistor become very severe. With autoformers, the losses are very small no matter how many speakers you are driving.

For what the OP has stated, I'd look for a resistor box with a bypass button, such as the Russound SS-4 series. That way, you can choose to remove the protection resistor from the circuit when you want the cleanest signal path.

Niles is excellent also, but they usually use autoformers, not sure if they still make a resistor box. Most autoformer boxes do not have a bypass option.

I have no significant experience with Adcom switchers, so I can't comment on them.

I have an Adcom GFS-1 speaker selector box at home.
It has push-buttons for three pairs of speakers AND a dedicated headphone outlet.
The headphone outlet is a lifesaver, with a power amp.
I picked it up used on flea-bay for $20.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom