Speaker Shootout

I've read often here about the importance of current in amplification. I've not seen a comprehensive way to determine what a particular amp's peak current delivery is at low impedance transients -- say 2 ohms for example.

Or, if that's the wrong question, what is the correct one? What are the characteristics of an above average current source?

The US ProAc distributor told me a couple years ago that their speakers were being voiced with Audio Research amps. Not sure about the truth of it but that is what I was told.

The US ProAc distributor told me a couple years ago that their speakers were being voiced with Audio Research amps. Not sure about the truth of it but that is what I was told.

That's correct, but that's way above my pay grade. Now they use Sugden, and I actually think it contributes to their more 'modern' voicing of the newer offerings.

I still say that the LM with 216ia with the KT88's would likely be ideal. Great power supply, well designed circuit and a nice tube complement.

I will check them out, but it doesn't have to be KT88, right? I don't know much about tubes, but el34 seems cheaper...

The very generalised rule of thumb is that KT88 does a better job with large orchestral whilst EL34 would be more 'musical'.

I still say that the LM with 216ia with the KT88's would likely be ideal. Great power supply, well designed circuit and a nice tube complement.

So they're about U$1,400 shipped from China. What's the dealer price there?
Based on the reputation of LM, I'd go with this option (for $1,400) if it were me as well.

So they're about U$1,400 shipped from China. What's the dealer price there?
Based on the reputation of LM, I'd go with this option (for $1,400) if it were me as well.

Dealer price is $1850 here. Worth every penny to me but everyone hears differently and everyone has different priorities with sound.

Back
Top Bottom