1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Shopping - one man's experience with High End models

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by jblnut, Mar 15, 2017.

1. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

Oh hell yes :)

Just coming off a lot of listening this rainy weekend and I am extremely happy with my choice. I wanted to balance the scales a little bit with some of the things I had encountered and it's pretty far from sour grapes. Like complaining that your supermodel girlfriend tracked some dirt into your Ferrari.

I researched this move extensively and took a lot of time thinking it over in the ~18 months since I first heard them and now. I knew they would sound different in my room than the store and that's always the hardest guess to make in this hobby. "That amazing sound I'm hearing here...will it be like this in my room?". Well, the answer is yes, they do sound stunning but also different than they did in a very dead showroom. They actually image better here than there, and with some of the tweaks I know I need to make, I'll eventually get them exactly how I want them. I'm only 2 weeks in here, and - impatient as I am to get everything 100% - I am already far from where I was. The MC-501 switch last year brought newfound details to the music and this is maybe another 2-3x more in that direction. It's huge actually and I don't mean to take away from the 250's here. The big JBLs are an easy speaker to listen to and they have a way of making most anything sound good. Whereas the Revels just go another few levels deeper into the details and make well recorded music almost real. I had Pat Metheney's "Still Life Talking" LP on the VPI today, and the soaring guitar and vocal harmonies had me literally lost in the mix. "This is a whole different kind of 'soul' music " I thought, and it was profound in a way I've never heard before.

And on that fatigue comment, truth be told I have been unable to really enjoy high volume listening for some time now. The JBL's too can bring on the fatigue just as easily and that's more a comment on me than any of the systems. Just too many concerts, jam sessions, loud cars and motorcycles, etc. Gotta really be careful with what I got left....

Thank you all for your encouragement and positive comments. I've listened more in the past 2 weeks than the previous 2 months. It's got me back into it again in a huge way.

jblnut

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    C6Bill, TimF, Wildcat and 3 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

Pat's Secret Story is a good one to get lost in. It's too rare to find on vinyl affordably these days, unfortunately, but the CD is pretty good, sonically. Pat re-released it with the bonus CD, with five leftover tracks from the sessions (which were rough demos that Nonesuch allowed Pat to finish up and include in the Deluxe set). Any album that opens with a Cambodian vocal choir definitely has something special happening. :)

I agree on hearing new things when we get better components. I don't know if it's the equipment, or if we just find we're listening that much closer when we hear things buried in the mix we didn't realize were there before. But it happens! And I can also relate to finding shortcomings in other parts of the system. That's how we fall into this rabbit hole in the first place. :D

I'm finding I don't really need to "crank it up" like I used to as well. Gotta save the hearing for when I'm older!

jblnut likes this.
  3. TimF

TimF Super Member

Shoot, if I had a Ferrari and a Super model that drug dirt into it, I’d rather have a nice chubby gal that was a bit more careful! Just think what the Super model would do to your hifi! Oh yeah, guess she would be too busy doing her hair and nails to bother...:)

PS jblnut, nice one on the Revels! Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 7:58 AM
  4. C6Bill

C6Bill AK Subscriber Subscriber

Glad to read that you are enjoying the new toys :)

5. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Don't have time to read all of this thread, but it's a good one. @jblnut I appreciate this writeup on your experience.

Never understood the whole vintage vs new bullshit. Early speaker design was often a hit or miss thing. With software, and so many years of material advances, we're cracking the lid on what is naturally a mysterious science, i.e. reproducing music. It's complex to get everything right, and all speakers are an inherent compromise.

Wildcat likes this.
  6. onwardjames

But.......you do it so well. Typical claptrap from everyone's favorite curmudgeon. :blah:

That's sad to hear, twiii. I was lucky enough to stumble butt-first into some XRT20's that only required a refoam and a couple blown tweeters replaced, and while I could get different, I don't know that I would get much better for my tired, tinnitus-plagued ears. That Roger design really helps me listen without the usual fatigue I get from most anything else.
    Coolest thing was, I emailed Roger about them.......he hit me back, told me what to do, what not to do. Extremely neat to be conversing with the creator of such a landmark product.

jblnut likes this.

7. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

8. onwardjames

I really don't want to sully this fine thread with back and forth, but I'll say this, and then shut up. After 10 minutes of considering posting this, I feel it is necessary, and that perhaps my opinion is shared by others.

AK's motto is "All Audio, No Attitude." Yes?? Yes.

I cannot fathom why you continue to get a free pass for outrageous claims, snarky asides, mile-wide generalizations, and outright rudeness.
    What is most tragic about this is the knowledge you have. Just an ounce of humility, or simple manners, and perhaps we could all learn from you.

Years, dude. Years I have held my tongue at your behavior, which is NOT in the spirit of AK. I wonder how many people you've ran off with your posts.

If you can make the implication that most of the nice folk here have some sort of allergy to new gear, or are ignorant, or whatever it is you claimed, then I can make the claim that you hold the distinction as being the single most contentious person on these boards.

Not all who have vintage gear, or mid-fi gear, are afraid to see what the new stuff has for in store for us. Hell, I'm even considering selling those mammoth McIntosh's and trying some of this amazing stuff that the market has. What you said isn't a fact, it's an opinion, and one that, if presented differently, I might even somewhat agree with.

Congrats, Botty. You get to be the first person I place on my ignore list. Hate to do it, but it is better than letting my bp go higher than it already is.

My most sincere apologies for this aside on an otherwise wonderful, entertaining and stimulating thread.

tarior likes this.
  9. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Will this fit in my sig?

10. onwardjames

Maybe, but mostly it would leave others baffled, lol. :rflmao:

11. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

onwardjames likes this.

12. GordonW

GordonW Speakerfixer Subscriber

+1 on the Thomas Dolby. "Pulp Culture" was my pet demo track off of that one.

I've been trying to find a good replacement vinyl copy of that for a while. Mine got left in the sun too long... :(

Regards,
    Gordon.