Speaker stand hack

Roboturner91

This is actually a dining stool. They come two in a pack. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mid-Cent...7-Barstool-in-Gray-and-Natural-Wood/855505746

Fits my Canton Karat 300s here like they were made for them. 12x12 wide/deep and about 18" tall, with the "seat" part on. I opted to leave the seat off as it didn't seem necessary. They're made out of pine but seem heavy/solid enough.

Took an hour to assemble both of them, including the time needed to drill holes in the bottoms of the legs to put some cheap spikes in there. I put a chunk of putty at each corner to secure the speaker. Pretty solid with the tiniest hint of wobble, but my old stands wobbled too. I don't think the floor is completely flat in here. I might look for some adjustable spikes later, but it's hardly an issue as it is.

I was going to paint them black or do a walnut stain to match the speakers, but the more I look at it, I think I'll leave them alone. I kinda dig the contrast.

52543557_300605380651067_1450838002673647616_n.jpg

Very nice!

If you decide to paint them, I'm a fan of the black gravel guard paint that NAPA sells. It dries to a pebble grain finish that looks like naugahyde leather ...

Not a very good pic, but you get the idea. I made these out of pine as speaker risers for the video system.

speaker-stand-riser.jpg

Ha ha ha, reminds me of my speaker stands from Michael's lol. Still need to get off my duff and either stain or paint them. Very sturdy, supported my 230 lbs with ease, and with the adjustable spikes very easy to level. Raised the speakers 11" which is perfect for the AR58s.

20181028_164303.jpg
20180429_190820.jpg

Last edited:
These are the perfect size for a set of 12x12 Rogers Studio 1a's I have stashed. Nice find!

Yeah, should work for just about anything that's 12x12ish, give or take an inch either way, and say 20 inches tall or more. I'm real happy with them. I didn't know how it would work out being they're made out of pine but they're really sturdy and solid.

@olson_jr I was thinking the same thing. My clumsy butt would bang into that, and topple goes the pretty speakers.

I suspect the setup is far more stable than we can see. Grenadeslio wouldn't have it any other way, methinks.

@olson_jr I was thinking the same thing. My clumsy butt would bang into that, and topple goes the pretty speakers.

I suspect the setup is far more stable than we can see. Grenadeslio wouldn't have it any other way, methinks.

You're absolutely right, they're very solid stands, easily support my 230 lbs. These are "stools" meant to be "stood" on, how stable do they need to be designed for that.

When I picked the speakers up I knew I needed something. It just so happened on our way home from Melbourne the little lady wanted to go into Michael's and browse. I noticed these looked the right height so figured they would do for a couple of days or whatever.

Noticed one day with the music cranking the speakers were inching rearward, this meant lost bass and eventual disaster. So I ordered some cheap adjustable spikes and ya, I gotta say I'm loving them. The thick soft pine is very non-resonant, the spikes allow leveling for better imaging, and the speakers do not move, difinite improvement in bass output.

Last edited:
@Grenadeslio my only concern is the lateral forces, or my butt colliding from the side, and sending them toppling. I doubt not that they're up to the vertical forces.

Anyway, nice solution to your situation!

@Grenadeslio my only concern is the lateral forces, or my butt colliding from the side, and sending them toppling. I doubt not that they're up to the vertical forces.

Anyway, nice solution to your situation!

No more apt to tip than any stand mount speaker, even my Infintys on the $300 stands made for them have been toppled by my kids when they were young and running around.

Plus I have them tucked between the wall units and equipment table, no chance of toppling unless actually trying lol.

20181028_164303.jpg

This is actually a dining stool. They come two in a pack. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mid-Cent...7-Barstool-in-Gray-and-Natural-Wood/855505746

Fits my Canton Karat 300s here like they were made for them. 12x12 wide/deep and about 18" tall, with the "seat" part on. I opted to leave the seat off as it didn't seem necessary. They're made out of pine but seem heavy/solid enough.

Took an hour to assemble both of them, including the time needed to drill holes in the bottoms of the legs to put some cheap spikes in there. I put a chunk of putty at each corner to secure the speaker. Pretty solid with the tiniest hint of wobble, but my old stands wobbled too. I don't think the floor is completely flat in here. I might look for some adjustable spikes later, but it's hardly an issue as it is.

I was going to paint them black or do a walnut stain to match the speakers, but the more I look at it, I think I'll leave them alone. I kinda dig the contrast.

View attachment 1424736
Where did you get spikes for them?

Back
Top Bottom