Speaker Stands for heavy floorstanding speakers

mymonkey

I am looking for speaker stands 12" - 24" high that can handle up to 100 pounds each. I need a larger top plate also to safely balance that weight. I have a pair of Yamaha 690II's and the stands that i am currently using are crying for mercy. They barely handle the 65lb + speakers. I like the sound of these beasts a few feet above the floor and would love to make the setup more stable. I have seen metal stands but don't know where to go go find something appropriate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am looking for speaker stands 12" - 24" high that can handle up to 100 pounds each. I need a larger top plate also to safely balance that weight. I have a pair of Yamaha 690II's and the stands that i am currently using are crying for mercy. They barely handle the 65lb + speakers. I like the sound of these beasts a few feet above the floor and would love to make the setup more stable. I have seen metal stands but don't know where to go go find something appropriate.

Thanks.

EBay?

overpriced junk the last i looked. I also searched the standard google sites with very little success. Hoping to find a custom shop or something.

overpriced junk the last i looked. I also searched the standard google sites with very little success. Hoping to find a custom shop or something.

Just a quick look on eBay found exactly what you need, price is fair.

250lb capacity.
Screenshot_20181127-003524.png
Screenshot_20181127-003344.png

Not sure of weight capacity if the above designed for your needs are too expensive.
Screenshot_20181127-003200.png

If still too expensive these hold me (230lbs) without strain, cost $30, can be stained to match. Found them at Michael's, purchased the spikes on eBay.

1543015782933187716747.jpg

There are Iron worker shops that make Custom Fencing and Gates that also make many other things also.....
There's a guy local to me I'm gonna see about making a custom set for me when I can afford it...
Check out your local Yellow Page's for custom iron works..
I figure that I can get some neat Twisted iron like you see on gates ... Speaker stands to be less obtrusive and bulky and unsightly to go over my Ohm model I and hold a Set of 60 lb speakers Above the big model I without creating interference with the resonance of the speakers below.
Or I could build shelves to attach to the wall which I do not want to do.

So I suggest you consider iron or custom making your own wood heavy duty stands with some bed posts attached to three quarter birch plywood with some custom trim... Then you can get the height and the strength.
Or you could make some custom posts on a lathe yourself with some nice ornate design that raises up from the floor with some Elegance

i did consider the custom steel approach. I did see the ebay links but wasn't sure they were right for my specific speakers. I guess if the stands work for the NS1000's they will work for my 690II's.

Thanks.

View attachment 1340757 Food for thought
I found an old chair and cut the legs to the height that l needed.
There are many metal framed chairs that could be cut the same.
Extremely stable
Did the same thing with maple bent wood kindergarten chairs, cut the legs down rear legs shorter for the angle.
Have a posting from way back with photos but i can't find it.
You could also find some used metal office chars remove the seat and bolt a plate on them.

Thanks.

http://www.skylanstands.com/

what are they sold as?

Footstools?

Yes lol.

Had a drive to pick up the AR's, the little lady wanted to stop at Michael's on the way back. As we were walking around the store I noticed these and thinking I didn't have any stands the right height these might work. They were cheap so figuring they were just a stop gap I grabbed them.

They worked so well I spiked them and here we are lol. Still planning on building a set as I've often done but these are filling in just fine for the interim.

Last edited:
I bought 12" table legs at the big box store, had a couple of pieces of white birch cut, stained it all, and they're good to go. Cost under $75 for the pair.

If still too expensive these hold me (230lbs) without strain, cost $30, can be stained to match. Found them at Michael's, purchased the spikes on eBay.

View attachment 1340762

Thanks for the tip on these. I picked up some similar footstools at Hobby Lobby but they don't look as heavy duty as the ones you got from Michael's. They were on sale and cost $18.12 for the pair. They hold KLH Model 5's securely so they aren't too bad. I ordered a pair of the ones like yours for pickup at my local Michael's store. They had an online 40% off coupon code so my total cost was $20.74. I'll compare the two sets and possibly return the Hobby Lobby set. But, given the cost I'll probably keep them for use in the basement.

Thanks,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom