Speaker suggestions for MC-225

crazycat

I am new to both Macs and tubes. Am anxiously awaiting the return of a MC-225 that was rescued from a barn and Terry has brought back to life for me, but I need advise on speakers to mate with it.

What speakers should I consider ? This is my first tube amp. Any suggestions appreciated,

Robert

I would suggest any of the Klipsch Heritage speakers. I am very happy with my Forte II's and my Mac tubes. I would go for the largest speakers your space and money will allow. Having said that, even the Heresys will sound great with that amp.

Tom

With no budget $$ mentioned.....

Here's a couple of suggestions:

* Top end: I love my Quad ESL 988s. One MC-225 is doing quite fine running jazz and classical on them. My room is smaller, 13x20x8 ft. and I listen at about 7 ft

*Office system: Here, I'm using a pair of B&W CDM CNT - yes, center channel speakers - with another MC-225. They generally run all day long and are excellent for this application. They can rock out when needed. At 89db efficiency, they can get quite loud in the office, which is also the kitchen in my house!

I've also used a pair of JBL 4425 Studio Monitors but they tend to need a bit more power to get going in both of the rooms mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

I've also got the ForteIIs, however running from an MA6200 and it sounds great. Getting an M225 is in my future plans.

A lot of vintage McIntosh owners use Klipsch heritage speakers. There is a definite sysnergy.

Klipsch Heresy are a great suggestion and if you add a good quality sub you might find that your search for speakers is over (provided you like the tone of horn speakers). Plus you support the amp's bass performance which some people find can be improved on (though here personal taste plays an important role ;) ).

Wolfram

Last edited:
David
you suggested:

" * Top end: I love my Quad ESL 988s. One MC-225 is doing quite fine running jazz and classical on them. My room is smaller, 13x20x8 ft. and I listen at about 7 ft

*Office system: Here, I'm using a pair of B&W CDM CNT - yes, center channel speakers - with another MC-225. They generally run all day long and are excellent for this application. They can rock out when needed. At 89db efficiency, they can get quite loud in the office, which is also the kitchen in my house! "

Both these speakers are much less efficient than Klipsch, I thought you had to use really efficient speakers with tubes.
Any "rule of thumb" about minumum efficiency needed? I will initially use these in a 10 x 14 room setting about 8 feet away, listing to jazz, vocals and americana.

I have never really listened to Klipsch, but am going to try and audition some today.

Thanks
Robert

Robert,

sorry that I cannot provide you with a rule of thumb in terms of sensitivity, but when you audition Klipsch speakers, make sure that high quality amplification is used (personally I prefer tubes, but some people also accept ss amps). I suppose you are talking about some current/recent models which I have never listened to, but I guess even for those it's still true that anything crappy in front of the speakers will be exposed mercilessly. Of course that's when sales people start off with how poor Klipsch speakers are. Obviously I don't agree :D , but it's unfortunately not difficult to put Klipsch speakers into such bad light.

Wolfram

IMO nothing pairs nicer with Mc tubes they Pre 1970's Khorns.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom