Speaker suggestions for MC-2505/c-26 system

can-man

I currently use JBL L100's and set of AR-3's. Maybe my 60+ year old ears are changing but JBL's seem somewhat too bright sometimes.
Room is small room about 10 X 19.
What are potential speakers to consider for this system. Mostly late 60s early 70s rock and jazz music. Mostly vinyl thru a Thorens TD160 TT.

Thanks for suggestions and budget probably around $750.00 for speakers if possible.

Why not just use the AR3s?

BTW - the combination of running both speakers in parallel is 2.67 ohm and likely lower at certain bass frequencies. Since the lowest tap on the 2505 is 4 ohm, this has to be stressful in the outputs.

Also the higher sensitivity of the L100s means they will be out of balance with the AR3s as well.

I always thought that the ADS 1090 small tower speakers were a great starting point for smaller room speakers 25 years ago.

Since then there has to be hundreds of designs using a pair of smaller woofers in a small tower design.

The Vandersteen 1 speakers....A, B, or C have always been a strong contender as a small tower 8 inch two way.

The small tower assumes you own the room and can place the speakers in the best place for optimum performance.

If not, if placement is dictated by a higher authority, the now great selection of sub woofers really can make a satellite subwoofer system shine.

If OP already objects to the JBLs as too bright, I'm not sure La Scala would be a step in the right direction...:idea:

A bit over your budget, however, I can't live without my Altec 604e's running two Mcintosh set ups. MC2505, C26, MCD7009 through a PS Audio DAC and MC60's, C20, two Thorens TD160's through a Paradox Pulse MC Pre-Amp.

Perhaps some Genesis 2 speakers. I bet that would be a nice pairing. Btw, I also have a leestereo restored and optimized C26. It's paired with an MC2205 and a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls. I'm very very happy with this combination.

IMG_1463.JPG

Why not just use the AR3s?

BTW - the combination of running both speakers in parallel is 2.67 ohm and likely lower at certain bass frequencies. Since the lowest tap on the 2505 is 4 ohm, this has to be stressful in the outputs.

Also the higher sensitivity of the L100s means they will be out of balance with the AR3s as well.
Ok, last night I ran my cell phone thru aux hook up and listened to AR3's. I turned power up to about 70% and man, the AR3's sounded great. I am using a multispeaker selector unit so have 3 sets to choose but only run 1 set at a time. I am rethinking my ownership of the JBL L100s and maybe upgrade to a Macintosh with more power. Like maybe an MC2105 I think it is. The AR3s are great with more power.
Does it hurt the MC2505 to run it at about 70% power?

Last edited:
Ok, last night I ran my cell phone thru aux hook up and listened to AR3's. I turned power up to about 70% and man, the AR3's sounded great. I am using a multispeaker selector unit so have 3 sets to choose but only run 1 set at a time. I am rethinking my ownership of the JBL L100s and maybe upgrade to a Macintosh with more power. Like maybe an MC2105 I think it is. The AR3s are great with more power.
Not at all!

As damacman said, not in the slightest. Unless the meters indicate the 2505 is running out of steam, there is little need to upgrade. Make sure the speakers are connected at the 4 ohm taps and you should be good to go.

My favorite would be an augmented Bozak Symphony pair from the same period. Today if buying new I would buy Klipsch Cornwalls or the new Forte III. Tannoy 12" coax models are a great choice, too. I think they present more accurate staging than Klipsch speakers. But they do have a rather long break in period I'm told and need to be nestled closer to a rear wall or corner than other speakers, With the klipsch or Tannoy your sure to have enough power, While the Bozaks much prefer 2105's or MC 7100's. Even though I have a 2505 I never let the needle swing past - 3db. You have to be careful when you don't have power guard. There're some older Altec and JBL models that mate perfectly to 2505. I owned Carmels, and Valencias or Santanas would work. Even the Model 19 would work most of the time. Harkness and Harts field and even a very pricy Paragon would work well with a MC 2505. AR-3 and 3a would need 500 watts to keep with the Altecs and JBL's and 200 + to keep up with the Symphony. I never saw a Mac speaker that could survive with anything less than a MC 2120. 150 watts. A sleeper is THE EV MODEL 6. If you have space for the big JBLs, the last model of the EV Georgian is just as good. You really need speakers with at least 96 db + efficiency. Then you;ll spend most of the time needing less than 1 watt and have plenty left over for peaks.

Last edited:
Back when I owned a 2505, I was using Altec Flamenco's (same as Valencia's) and JBL 4311's. Both mated quite well with that amp.

I've owned AR3's, AR11's, and 3 pairs of AR2ax's....none of which I have now. While the AR3 and AR11 did sound quite good, they did need some power because of their low inefficiency. Something around mid 80's on AR3's, I think? i'm not so sure about your room supporting La Scala's with the space that the LS's take up but maybe a set of Cornwalls. I currently use the Belle clones I built in a living room that's about 15 x 18 maybe and an open floor plan and they sound great. But, we are building a new house sometime this year (after ours sells) and I will have all of my gear in a dedicated room upstairs that will be 16 x 20 so they will get to open up more. My MC250 plays the Belle's effortlessly and with authority. I just like higher efficiency speakers now, I guess. I do still own 2 pairs of Dynaco A25's, Celestion Ditton 44 Series II's, and Norman Lab Model 9's that are at my house and also a pair of JBL L100T's, Infinity Quantum 3's and Infinity RSIIIa's that are kept at my best friends house. But those get ran off of a 250wpc Soundcraftsmen A5002 amp.

If your source is vinyl your phono cartridge may be the reason for brightness. I would think with the "McIntosh warmness" and the speakers you have it would not be bright. I ran into a similar situation with my TD125 and Pollk 7 powered by a C26 and MC2100. You would think it would have been more laid back but it wasn't. The Ortofon 2M red and the 2M black were the culprits. The Shure cartridges tend to be more laid back. Just a thought before you go out and buy more speakers and amps.

Last edited:
Time to quit fooling around and go Altec. :) I used a 2505 for 30+ years with my Altec Valencias. Both in stock form and finally with a active crossover. When I went active I put a 275 on the horns and left the 2505 on the woofers until I was able to get a more powerful Mac SS amp for the woofers. Seriously though the 2505 should put out close to 75 watts if in good condition. Enjoy whatever you decide on.

Back when I owned a 2505, I was using Altec Flamenco's (same as Valencia's) and JBL 4311's. Both mated quite well with that amp.

Time to quit fooling around and go Altec. :) I use a 2505 for 30+ years with my Altec Valencia's. Both in stock form and finally with a active crossover. When I went active I put a 275 on the horns and left the 2505 on the woofers until I was able to get a more powerful Mac amp. Seriously though the 2505 should put out close to 75 watts if in good condition. Enjoy whatever you decide on.

What Mike Gibson said. My 2505 was always good for 72w/ch at the Mac Clinics of old. This amp was a perfect match for my Altec Flamenco's, which are the same components as the Valencia's (the only difference was cabinet decor). Sonically, I've never found myself wanting anything different. If the size doesn't discourage you, as well as any wife acceptance issues, I would suggest as well.
These speakers are extremely efficient and are of the same period as your C26/2505 combo.

Back
Top Bottom