Speaker suggestions

Kyse

Below are the specs of my receiver, a Pioneer SX-850. My listening room is 25x18. I listen to Santana, Lou Reed, Ray Charles, my wife listens to a lot of modern country. I'm looking for the "best" (I understand it's an opinion) most well-balanced speakers to match up with it. I have around $800 in the budget. I prefer vintage but I'm not married to it.

Power output: 65 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 50kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.1%

Damping factor: 25

Input sensitivity: 6.5mV (mic), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (DIN), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 70dB (MM), 90dB (line)

Output: 150mV (line), 30mV (DIN), 1V (Pre out)

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω (minimum)

Semiconductors: 3 x FET, 3 x IC, 56 x transistors, 36 x diodes

Last edited:
You'll get more meaningful answers if you also include the type of music you prefer and the size of your listening area.

Also, are you looking for new or used/vintage?

What's the make and model of the receiver? You were thorough with the specs, but that would still be helpful.

Edit: some quick sleuthing suggests probably a Pioneer SX-850?

At 65 watts you'll want fairly efficient speakers unless you don't really care about the ability to play louder.

Also, the questions MCM_Fan added would be helpful.

Are you looking for floor-standers, bookshelves, etc?

I would say with that budget you could just about get a used pair of Vandersteen 2ce Signatures, however the prices have been climbing with them and they do like power even though your amp could drive them , might be worth looking into though as they are excellent sounding speakers .

Audiofreak71

I think this is why many people have multiple sets of speakers - not one does EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY. Some highly regarded speakers have notable flaws to some listeners, while another person might think they are wonderful. You just have to listen to several different speakers and see what works best for you. That demands some trial and error, which can be a real pain in the ass (and wallet!). Where are you located? Maybe you are close to several AK members who would like to have you listen to their systems.

I sure see a LOT of people who like ADS speakers. There are lots of JBL fans, many Klipsch connoisseurs, the Original Large Advent (OLA) gets a lot of respect. I really like my Infinity Qb's but they aren't for everyone. The 4 ohm load is hard for anything but a really decent amplifier, the cabinets are problematic, and they are hard to find in good condition. - but they sound so good with a good male or female voice and an acoustic guitar coming through that I couldn't trade them out.

Hell.... For 800, you might be able to score some big altecs or JBL's.... They'd certainly fill the room

Since you're receptive to vintage what's available to you locally? A lot of the old "darlings" don't sound as good as you would want, they are recognized for other reasons. And even more are better than very good. For that room and receiver a pair of Wharfedale W70D with tweeter swop would be nice. No crossover changes needed.

What's the make and model of the receiver? You were thorough with the specs, but that would still be helpful.

Edit: some quick sleuthing suggests probably a Pioneer SX-850?

At 65 watts you'll want fairly efficient speakers unless you don't really care about the ability to play louder.

Also, the questions MCM_Fan added would be helpful.

Are you looking for floor-standers, bookshelves, etc?

65 watts is more than enough even for inefficient speakers.

What speaker questions ring about as ranged as what lighting is the best... depends if your are getting a skin cancer check, on a date with an ugly person or out with buddies and a super model...

Klipschs tend to be noted for their high efficiency and "sharp to bright sound"
The older JBL classics are commanding premium prices as the "in speaker" but a pair of nice Lancers would fall in your price range around Vancouver.
Someone mentioned the Large Advents, they can definitely still be found for fair prices and I love their sound. Warm and cozy. Way under your budget depending on "finish"
I have had a few pair of the bigger Infinity line, they can be hard on amps.. be wary..and Emit tweeters are touchy at best
Currently running some Boston Acoustic A150's I love and sold a pair of A400's I miss daily.
Finally, my guilty pleasure is some Yamaha NS's ... lots of great speakers in the line IMHO
So many choices... try for a popular model and you can generally re-sell if they don't work for you.

People saying Vandy's don't get it as they need more power than your little midfi receiver can put out. You would be doing them a disservice. Nothing wrong with a nice pair of Boston Acoustics.

The SX-850 is not 'little', it's a plenty gutsy 43 lb receiver. If you want to call it mid-fi that's up to you, but you might consider dialing it back a bit rather than (literally) belittling the new guy's equipment in the process of recommending speakers. :rolleyes:

Nice post by @Vintage Bert if you are looking at vintage speakers. Of course, vintage usually entails a bit of work like new foam surrounds, for example. Most anyone can replace surrounds and the folks here will walk you through it. New caps is another matter and requires a soldering kit.

If you go "less" vintage like a 90s or early 00s pair of B&W speakers, you might hear some nice synergy. 600 series can be had for reasonable sums. Of course, I'm recommending B&W speakers because I happen to own and like B&W speakers. They do pair well with the generally "warmer" sound you will be getting from your Pioneer.

I have a lot of speakers and consider my Bozak 302a as among the best I have. They come in different cabinet styles. And, as an older speaker will need updating to the crossover (and perhaps individual driver repair/replacement). I would also like to acknowledge the comment above that many are interested in owning speakers with different performance characteristics. This is why I have so many. I am listening to a pair of Boston A100 now (source: digital files through a SONY DA9000ES). My CD and turntable are connected to a 120watt Toshiba amp with the Bozaks 302a connected as well as a set of Pioneer DSS5 speakers, stacked on top. Rock - I play it LOUD through the pioneer speakers; Jazz, at lower volumes, through the Bozak.

I agree that a 65 watt amplifier is more that you will ever need, especially in the form of a vintage Pioneer.

Also, please note that sound 'quality' is completely subjective. You, your wife and I can hear the same music through the same system and have a completely different opinion on the quality of the sound. Owning different speakers helps to address this.

Unfortunately I think that you need to experiment. Do some research here and then take a plunge, buy them - listen and continuously upgrade.

Welcome to the journey!

You might (might) find a pair of Martin Logan Quests or Quest Z's in that range. With extreme luck even reQuests. Other Martin Logans are also worth watching for -- that said I am obviously biased. Magnepans and other ribbon style speakers should also be on your radar. Don't just think "inside the box." ;)

What you can get largely depends were you're located and how willing you are to scour FB marketplace / Barter Town (here) / Audiog** / Craigslist / the bay.

Also, 65wpc should be sufficient for normal listening volumes, but the next step up will be a bigger / cleaner amp. Electrostats are inherently demanding.

Last edited:
People throw around get this or that model used vintage speakers as if they're sitting in a store waiting to be picked up locally and at any time. Kind of amusing if you ask me. Speakers are a PITA to find and buy used. Difficult and expensive to ship, possibly damaged, likely need new surrounds and crossover repairs, etc. Plenty of decent new speakers out there for $1000 or less per pair. For example, if you shop right, a pair of new Klipsch RP-280F's can likely be found around $800 (or less). And these are NEW speakers that sound very good.

When buying used, always try to listen before you buy, if nothing else just to make sure all the drivers are working.

We don't know where you're located but it's possible there are some AKers near you who get together and do just that. It's a great way to hear different kinds of equipment, make new friends and buy/sell with relatively trustworthy people. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom