speaker switch up

Frank Sch

I have 2 complete systems set up in my primary listening area. Tonight I switched up the speakers to keep the older vintage units together.

The older Tannoy Berkeley speakers are now connected to the older vintage Marantz integrated amp and AR 77XB turntable.

The newer Axiom speakers are connected to newer vintage dbSystems preamp/Bryston 2B amp and Technics SL1200 turntable.

I have 1980's CD players (Harman Kardon and Yamaha) for both systems. (When I get it back from service, I'll decide which system gets the Revox A77 reel to reel player and which gets the H.K. cassette player.)

I plan for a listening session with the new combo tonight.
fullsizeoutput_1359.jpeg

I had the speakers hooked up the other way initially so as not to have the Marantz amp sitting on a speaker it was driving, but the new combination feels more in sync.

No, there are pairs. :) That was just a close up photo.

So, I listened to Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album on both systems. The Berkeley/Marantz/AR system was not a bright/crisp/detailed as the Axiom/dbSystems/Bryston/SL1200 combo. The difference may be due to both ends of the audio chain of the Marantz system: The Berkekelys are due for new tweeter crossover capacitors, and the cartridge on the turntable is a mid AudioTechnica cart, compared to an Ortofon 2M Red on the SL1200.fullsizeoutput_1379.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom