Speaker switcher box?

joekapahulu

So, I am looking to make my system more compact, i.e. go from 2 to 1 in LR which doubles as listening room per wife's request. I am looking for a quality speaker switcher, if that exists, for use with my acurus R11 and McIntosh MC250 combo. I presently use that combo plus a Marantz PM8005 in a second system in the same rack to drive 4 different sets of speakers ranging from Ohm Walsh 2 thru Kef R300, JBL L110 and Spendor S3/5. I could probably get that down to 2 speakers if necessary (dont want to if possible). I have an old RS speaker switch which is just ok. I am wondering if any current manufacturer makes a proven unit that handles the differences in speaker ratings/resistance/sensitivity, has quality build and hopefully can handle large modern cables. I have looked on line and just see lots of Chinese stuff that seems sketchy, some pro audio stuff and some cheapies. Does a good quality unit exist? I thought at one time Adcom or someone like that made one?

Niles HDL-4, I've ended up with two of these and they have the quality build + ability to compensate for speaker loads. They were popular with the "Whole House Stereo" installers here in Central Florida back in the late 90's early '00's. I found my two at the local thrifts for > $20 each. The only issue is that Niles used clamp on connectors that weren't designed for greater than 16 Gauge wire. If you need larger it may require some creativity to accommodate.

Mark Gosdin

Back
Top Bottom