Speaker test...

1963Christop

New owner of some four way speakers, and it doesn’t sound like either of the two mid range drivers in either cabinet is working. I know I can pull it, disconnect one lead and check the ohm reading, but is there any other way to check and see, without doing that, if the driver is actually getting a ‘signal’ pushed to it while in operation ?

Unhook both leads and hook it up short term (just long enough to determine if they reproduce sound) "direct" from the amp/receiver, using low volume and bass/treble settings at mid point or less.
If you do try that, DO NOT let the speaker wires touch each other. Bad things will happen.

The midrange driver is usually the loudest so if it were working I think just putting your ear to the driver should be adequate to tell. This still doesn't assure it's the drivers at fault, only whether or not they're working.

New owner of some four way speakers, and it doesn’t sound like either of the two mid range drivers in either cabinet is working. I know I can pull it, disconnect one lead and check the ohm reading, but is there any other way to check and see, without doing that, if the driver is actually getting a ‘signal’ pushed to it while in operation ?

Pictures of the speaker sans grill and the driver in question identified?

If there is any kind of level control on the speaker check that as well.

Many a driver has been thought to be dead only to find a dirty level control blocking the signal.

This is why I love the internet ! You can find anything, anywhere, all within a couple keystrokes...

Already did the paper towel tube thing...

There is no mid range attenuator on these speakers.

Midranges are cone, and no movement.

My guess is either the driver is at fault, or the crossover... but if the driver's good, using a multimeter, is there a discernible voltage going to the driver when, say, Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones is playing at mid volume ? And would I need to disconnect one side of the midrange to measure it ?

Back
Top Bottom