1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker wire enlightenment

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Mike Sweeney, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Mike Sweeney

Mike Sweeney AK Subscriber Subscriber

I bought a pair of Sony speakers for now ( SS-5000P) and I had always been disappointed with them. The backstory is I used the OEM wiring that came with them. At the time, I just had my TV and with a non-restored Marantz 2226B driving them along with a Technics turn table. But they worked and that is what counted at the time.

Roll the clock forward and I've added a restored Marantz 1030 amp and I restored the 2226B. But the speakers still didnt have good depth or bass. When I was wiring in the 1030, I saw that OEM wiring and went, hmmmmm.. I have some 16 awg speaker wire I bought a while back so I made up some new leads and swapped them in. Suddenly I have depth, I have bass and the speakers dont crackle on the high end. Out of curiousity, I measured the actual wire in the sony kit. I went from 24 awg to 16 awg. I measured the sony stuff three times because I couldnt believe it was such a thin wire. I doubt I would ever hear a different with anything larger given my miminal wattage but the jump from 24 to 16 was really noticable.. go figure ;)

I just posted this for everyone's amusement on a saturday :D

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Hard to put out a fire using a garden hose connected to a fire hydrant. that 24 gauge wire is kinda puny. It might even be copper coated aluminum.

16 gauge is a good size for many applications.

3. Mike Sweeney

Mike Sweeney AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah.. this was a case of thick plastic.. itty-bitty wire

4. Splatter Pak

Splatter Pak High-End Scrounger

Ah yes, copper-coated aluminum, or just CCA. I got stung on that junk TWICE. Never again, and for all of you, stay away from CCA wire, whatever else you do, or don't do, in audio.

5. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Come on, everybody knows wires and cables don't change the sound............Well, everyone except you and me

Bill Ferris likes this.
  6. Joe Dawson

Joe Dawson Active Member

Not surprising at all to me Mike. I have been testing gauge vs perception and in my system found 10 parallel 18 gauge solid wires sounded best. I did not think it would be that touchy. Neither 8 nor 12 in parallel sounded right in my system. 10 wires 18 gauge wire in parellel is a very general approx. 8.2 gauge.

keep on truckin

joe

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    stish likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber

Well, you were using something more suited for a telephone land line.:dunno:

Joe Dawson and Mike Sweeney like this.