Speaker Wire for Sansui R5-L? [Advice Needed]

DanSquire

Hey there,

Newbie/oldbie, but after some advice after acquiring a new little Sansui R5-L with the various bits and pieces, well... it has everything aside from the speaker wires.

I've tried looking thru the 'guide' but there's nothing specific about what I need, and I'm a bit lost in that respect.

Help and guidance welcome!

Regular Zip cord (lamp cord) will work well. 16ga for up to 50Ft, with 14Ga up to 100ft. Twist and tin (solder) the ends before connecting ot receiver and speakers.
The R5-L is only 25Wpc so lamp cord will work fine. Home Depot or Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc. Or just cut up a couple of 8-10Ft. extension cords (clip off the ends).

Dan,
First off - welcome to the world of AudioKarma.
Don't over think the speaker wire issue - pretty much anything will do.
The way the connections work on the R5 is that you insert the wire and then twist the connector to tighten it.
With that design I'd go with 18 gauge wire - go to you local hardware store and get some speaker wire.
Again, you don't need anything fancy!
Here's a link to the R5's manuals - you'll have to register first but fear not - they will not spam you.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/r-5.shtml

Hey there, thanks for the welcome and quick advice!

See, I thought it was something simple because I remember as a kid I always used to extend the speaker wires but I just couldn't recall how, at all...

Thanks for this, really handy. Excited to have an 'old' system again with a really nice turntable as wel.

Cheers!

Dan,
First off - welcome to the world of AudioKarma.
Don't over think the speaker wire issue - pretty much anything will do.
The way the connections work on the R5 is that you insert the wire and then twist the connector to tighten it.
With that design I'd go with 18 gauge wire - go to you local hardware store and get some speaker wire.
Again, you don't need anything fancy!
Here's a link to the R5's manuals - you'll have to register first but fear not - they will not spam you.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/r-5.shtml

Regular Zip cord (lamp cord) will work well. 16ga for up to 50Ft, with 14Ga up to 100ft. Twist and tin (solder) the ends before connecting ot receiver and speakers.
The R5-L is only 25Wpc so lamp cord will work fine. Home Depot or Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc. Or just cut up a couple of 8-10Ft. extension cords (clip off the ends).

One more question! How much should I paying? Obviously I'd assume it depends on length, I'm in the UK but US prices also fine so I can work it out.

Thanks again.

In the states it's rather inexpensive - I'd say $0.25 to $0.50 a foot. It's probably cheaper to buy an extension cord and cut off the ends.

Back
Top Bottom