Speaker wire gauge - Kappa 9's

You should have those k 9's at least 3 feet out from the wall measured to the front of the speaker for a huge difference in sound quality.

I'm going to move them out from the walls and give that a try. Thanks! I also need to have the offsets checked as someone suggested. My left channel amp is running a little warmer than the right channel amp. Other than that it sounds very nice to me.

I asked my kid about solid wire versus stranded cable. He said this: "the electron density is the same in either wire". Kids... Problem is he knows a little bit about circuitry.
My older stranded cable turned green with corrosion over time as well and I had to change it out. This was on another system.
My interconnects are Audioquest Evergreens, real nice stuff. Very happy with them.

Thanks for the input!

there is a lot of dispute on this. exotic speaker wires, some people say sound better, others say common wire , larger the gauge , the better

For starters I would switch the amps out, put the right amp on the left speaker and left amp on the right speaker to see if the warmer amp still runs warmer after the switch.

Switched the warmer amp to the right channel. It’s still noticeably warmer even on the right.

Offset?

Not many techs around me. Humboldt County. Last good one I knew just retired...

Ok so I took the amps in today to have the bias adjusted. Both were high (one at 12mV and the hot amp at 14mV instead of 8mV). Come to find out the hot running amp is a POA-6600A, the cool amp is a POA-6600.

I must be getting old because I didn’t even notice this until now. I bought them very recently as part of an entire Denon stack including the K9’s from the original owner. All in great shape and very reasonable so I can’t complain. He never mentioned smoking one of the original amps so...

I’m going to run it and enjoy the sh...t out of it.

The “hot” amp is running noticeably cooler. Just a slight difference between the two now. The tuneup helped. Sounds real good to my ears. Palladium’s are somewhere in my future if and when the Denons give up the ghost. Hopefully not too soon...

Thanks to all for the input.

Back
Top Bottom