1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Wire Recommendations for Fisher 400 to Klipsch KG-4

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Kevin Laman, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Kevin Laman

Kevin Laman New Member

Could someone recommend which speaker wire to use for my Fisher 400 to Klipsch KG-4 speakers? I just got the Klipsch speakers last night off CL. Near mint condition and super seller. Easy transaction.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 432HzBob

432HzBob Addicted Member

14-16 gauge
    I know it's heresy here but I buy bulk speaker wire from a local car stereo shop.
    it's super fine stranded, has a supple rubbery casing, easily identified polarity colors (none of that faint white line on one lead),
    cuts, trims and solders well and lays real easy under throw rugs and corners.

Grenadeslio likes this.
  3. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not critical , lamp cord works in a pinch. However, the longer the distance, the thicker the cable should be. I like 14 ga, but have commercial 12ga.in living room set-up. If it's free, it's for me, so I used that. Some speaker connectors may not fit anything bigger than 14ga.

4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Wire that is long enough is absolutely critical for proper imaging.

stish and Grenadeslio like this.
  5. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Ha ha you said Heresy lol, they're KG-4's.

All kidding aside, I use OFC in-wall speaker wire for just about all my speakers, it's what I have around for my work so...........

That said, I do have some 12 awg (better is subjective) wire connecting my Infinitys.

6. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good inexpensive wire, Malibu lighting wire and outside extension cords. They are 16ga and priced right, last 100' for under $20 IIRC.
    I like getting the dark green extension cord. If you look around some I have found them in grey white black along with at least two shades of green. Of course there is orange also.

7. DOBIEGUY

DOBIEGUY AK Subscriber Subscriber

Whatever way you go with wire I would recommend terminating them with insulated crimp-on ring connectors at the 400 end.
    The screws are small and the spacing is tight. Ring, not fork connectors will eliminate a possible short.
    Happy listening.

8. Kevin Laman

Kevin Laman New Member

Good idea. I was using the fork ones. Thank you.

9. kbuzz

kbuzz AK Subscriber Subscriber

What size ring connectors do you generally use in fisher equipment?

10. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use Audioquest Type 2 between my 400 and Heresy speakers, mainly because I had a pair of the correct length. Type 4 is my go-to for my other vintage setups.

11. DOBIEGUY

DOBIEGUY AK Subscriber Subscriber

image.jpeg @kbuzz
    I use a ring connector like this.
    For #16-14 AWG and hole for a #6 screw.(The terminal screws are slightly smaller)
    Home Depot has different sizes.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Kevin Laman likes this.