Speaker wire under the rug...

saggy

These go to 11
I might need to run about 10 feet of speaker wire under a large living room rug. If so, do I need to look for a certain quality or gauge, or is it just business as usual from amp to speakers?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe you can take an idea I had and make it work for you

In the living room at what's her face's place is rolled out a very nice Pakistani rug. Like you, she has a situation where she has a 5.1 system set up but there is no path to the rear of the room that doesn't cross an opening, so the only options are either run wires in wall, through attic (which would involve pulling up floor) and back down wall (which would be difficult as that wall actually is mostly picture window) a non starter for several reasons.

So I initially set up her system with one of those molded rubber things that are used in conference rooms to keep people from tripping on network wires, extension cords, etc. and ran the two rear channels and sub RCA cable in it. It's still like that but my THOUGHT was...

the rug has probably a 1/4" thick pad underneath it. My thought was to cut a channel in the bottom of the pad, and use that to run the wires. I haven't quite figured out the logistics of the idea however, and also if I screwed it up I'd have to buy another $100ish pad...

Business as usual for me.
I've had no other option either than to run the cable under a short rug.
No special gauge wire or considerations taken into account other than if the wife liked the rug

I once looked at some flat speaker wire. I ended up not buying it, but flat speaker wire would mostly solve the problem, I guess.

I once looked at some flat speaker wire. I ended up not buying it, but flat speaker wire would mostly solve the problem, I guess.

That's where I'm headed. Sounds like the issue is less about sound and more about aesthetics.

I'd always thought flat wires had increased capacitance, which is not what you want for longer runs. Just get some inexpensive 12ga. You can still run it under the edge of the rug if needed.

I knew a guy who unwound a flat ribbon inductor and used that, said it worked fine, but I don't have any particulars of the gauge or anything.

Years ago, I successfully used some 14 gauge flat wire from the shack under a rug for about 20'. No issues at all. if you have a throw rug, you might want to put some gaffers tape over it. If you'gr going with a new wall to wall install with padding, no tape is needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-14-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-100/dp/B00B4ZE5JC

I'll tape it down regardless, as the area is lightly trafficked, and I don't want the wires pulling on the speakers or amp, and I don't have much aesthetic room available for slack. Just think - all these troubles and 900 square feet can be yours for the low low price of a New York City apartment!!

I'd always thought flat wires had increased capacitance, which is not what you want for longer runs. Just get some inexpensive 12ga. You can still run it under the edge of the rug if needed.
Why would flat wire have more capacitance?

I thought that capacitance was really only a major consideration for interconnects and especially the phono one whereas resistance vs. Impedance was the major factor on selecting a speaker wire...

Maybe the same friend as Jeff:

The system I know of uses an unwound 12 g flat ribbon inductor for wire under about 13' of carpet on a hardwood floor. The speakers are JBL DD6600's, and they sound spectacular.

Barry

I thought that capacitance was really only a major consideration for interconnects and especially the phono one whereas resistance vs. Impedance was the major factor on selecting a speaker wire...
I believe the article I read specified they were for electrostatic, or planar speakers using a high-voltage grid.

Back
Top Bottom