Speaker woofers moving out of sequence

Still doesn't matter in this specific issue.

Heh, your issue in that other house isn't terribly uncommon - or maybe it is rare, but it's a known issue (cause and solution are known).

Yea, the cause was a stove with reversed wiring. So, when I touched the stove, then the fridge, I was completing the circuit! Ouch. It held me for a few seconds, before I could pull loose!

That reminds me, I used to work at an aircraft avionics company. Part of my duties, were final instrument testing. That included a short-circuit test of the instrument. It didn't happen often, but every once in a while, a completed unit would have a short. When it did, you could shock yourself with 400 volts, if you accidentally touched the unit under test! That stung just a bit too.

As to the OP, until he tests with something besides a suspect amp, I think we need to consider any possibility. And old wiring made me nervous.

I too am having trouble seeing how a house wiring problem can cause this - it has to be a variable DC or extremely low frequency AC getting to the speaker.

I'd be measuring for DC at the amp outputs and checking the voltage at the receptacle - under load and with no load on the circuit. Just to eliminate that.

Yea, the cause was a stove with reversed wiring. So, when I touched the stove, then the fridge, I was completing the circuit! Ouch. It held me for a few seconds, before I could pull loose!

On both appliances, the metal chassis should have been connected to ground only. Since there are 3 conductors (assuming a grounded 3-wire system!) there are various combinations that could be 'reversed'. I'm probably splitting hairs here. Going to guess that the hot lead was connected to the chassis of one appliance...but if that happened the appliance wouldn't work at all. Maybe a hot/neutral swap, and for some reason the neutral was floating at a higher voltage? I guess that could cause it.

Sorry for the tangent!

Ok guys I had some time to do some room swaps etc

Kenwood amp another room with dlk speakers - no issues

Sony amp in another room with ESS speakers - no issues

Sony amp in another room with dlk speakers - same issue.

Based on this. It's a problem with the amp.

I am not sure how to check Dc offset and will look into this later

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Back
Top Bottom