Speakerlab 6

Kay Jones

I am looking for exerxise room speakers which I would drive with a Sansui 7070. I have found via the net Speakerlab 6s (no photos were provided). The owners states it is circa 1988. I own Speakerlab 7s (powered by a Marantz 2270) which I purchased new three days before I married. I don’t recall the 6s. I would appreciate any help.

Welcome to AK. I have 7WA's and 4's. The 4's are in the garage and the 7's are in my listening room. Both sound full at low volume. The best speakers out there are the ones that sound best to you.

1988 makes for a problematic date.

If that date is accurate then they are of the "DAS" era and would look nothing like the earlier (horn) S6, potentially with a 1" dome tweeter crossed at 2500hz, a 8" woofer and a 10" subwoofer crossed at 180hz.

The first generation 6's are what Borus posted (1976-77[+?]), 2nd generation are the WA6's which have the horns arranged horizontally (ca. 1979-80). From 1981 until ca 1984 the 6 was dropped. Starting in ca 1985 there is the 3rd generation DAS6.

I'd ask for photos and confirmation of the date & configuration before considering buying.

Cheers,
James

Thank you and danke, borus, jim249 and Bratwurst7s .

Yes 1988 throws me, too. I have asked for pictures and while if they are the DAS-6 they are most likely very good speakers, my ownership of Speakerlab 7s has developed a strong preference for big woofers and horns. Good condition 7s are expensive for a workout room, and 6s are rare (in five months these are potentially the only one I've seen advertised in the greater Seattle area). If this purchase does not work out I will seek out some 4s, which I see here on AK have ardent owners.

Well, I'm not going to dis the DAS, because I've never heard any. Maybe someday. Stranger things can happen. Last spring I found/bought a pair of S7WA's here in Germany. I'd be surprised if there are very many more of them in all of Europe. They are still waiting to be restored. With some luck I'll be ready to start on them by this summer.

Let us know how things develop.

As prep work for the restoration of my WA's I had my brother-in-law buy an extra pair of W1208R's for me and take them to Paul Johnston in Kent, Wa for inspection and new surrounds. So now I have an extra pair of them as well as an extra pair of Visiton MHT-12 ribbon tweeters and some very interesting Canton 6" mids from some GL-260's. I've been toying with the idea of DIY'ing a pair of S3's with those drivers.

Btw, Welcome to Audiokarma Kay.

Cheers,
James

The 6WA have different midrange and tweeter horns. If I needed speakers, I'd be all over those 6WAs right now in Shoreline (CL Seattle). I had 7WAs back in the '80s and they were superb.

Back
Top Bottom