Speakers and Receiver for $600?

Anaxes

College student who finally got his own apartment! Don't have the most to spend but don't mind used! Looking for something with phono output for a future turntable! Its a small apartment (1 bed room in the city) any recommendations would be great!

I've been enjoying a pair of powered JBL lsr308's that could fill the amp / speaker needs. Add a used preamp with phono and you could probably come in under your stated budget. You asked about a receiver so maybe a tuner is needed as well.

My favorite newer little inexpensive speakers are Boston Acoustic CR65. I needed some small ones for a living room system and looked here on AK for suggestions and ended up getting some used on CL. Liked them so much got another pair for the bedroom system. And yet another pair just to have in case I want to gift a system to a friend or relative. Ebay completed sales are in the $70 range but CL had them for about half that. Either way I think they sound great for the money. Unlike vintage speakers (which there are still some good buys out there) you won't have to worry about fixing them anytime soon.
Now vintage receivers are another ballgame altogether. They are ridiculously priced these days. I looked at your local CL for my favorite bargain vintage models, and broken ones are priced higher than perfect ones sell for at auction. It's also a crap shoot on how long they will last.
My favorite under-the-radar model is here http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ONK...083366?hash=item1a31870aa6:g:mkkAAOSwlyJZbmyC
this ones looks fairly nice and is about $100 shipped. I have one and it has a fantastic phono section. Do some research and you will like what you see. It's bigger brother, the 4500 MKII is also within reach.

College student who finally got his own apartment! Don't have the most to spend but don't mind used! Looking for something with phono output for a future turntable!
I'm guessing you already have speakers? What do you have? Are you looking for a receiver to pick up radio stations, or a separate tuner and amplifier to connect your iPod to? Separates are better IMHO but a receiver would be the least expensive way to go.

The possibilities are practically endless for $600 if you shop around on CL. A $200 receiver and $400 speakers can be quite nice if luck and persistence are in your bag of tricks...

Nice Sony for a buck and a half...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/d/sony-str-vintage-receiver/6204223819.html

These are a bit more than budgeted, but underpriced and probably gone..

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/d/jbl-vintage-speakers/6242470260.html

Here's a fine sounding set of bookshelfs for half your budget...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/d/vintage-epi-epicure-stereo/6234480704.html

BTW, take a cab or CTA

Sorry, I didn't see this was posted in "New Gear"

Last edited:
For apartment speakers don't overlook Realistic Minimus 7's. The walnut versions look great IMO. Want something new? Easy, pick up a pair of NOS in their original box! :)

for a beginner - try buying a cheap AV receiver, they often have phono inputs, and a
new set of the Panasonics (SP-BS22) or Elac (B5) speakers designed by Andrew Jones.

this comes in at 1/2 of budget. then buy a turntable off CL but replace the cartridge.

again, upgrade as your ears tune in, and spend the rest of it on the music. who knows
the Andrew Jones speakers may be collectors items or at least return your investment
when you do upgrade. and no need to fix blown tweeters/woofers or protection circuits.

You can buy new and have it delivered right to you. No fuss, no muss. Suggested:
Yamaha R-S202 AM/FM receiver with bluetooth. Less than 200 dollars.
speakers in the under 200 dollar range.. check out Polk, Dayton B625 Air, Pioneer BS-22-LR. Not too large, but nice sound.

(future) If you want to listen to records, you will need an external preamp around 50 bucks, or get a turntable with a built-in preamp.

If you want a receiver with a phono input built-in, check out Sherwood Receivers which will be in the same price range.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom