Speakers Around $1500 / Alternatives to the KEF LS50

Hi Guys,
I am trying to find some standmount speakers to replace my Epos Epic 2s. I have been auditioning the Kef LS50s in my home for the past month. Despite flipping interconnects and speaker wire, I don't seem to love them quite yet. I love the soundstage and instrument separation, and I totally get why everyone loves them, but in my system, they sound a touch forward in the high mids and a bit inorganic. Tonality is really the most important thing for me and it's a bit of a bummer as I was REALLY hoping to love them.

I remember loving the Dynaudio X12s when I heard them years ago, so I checked out the X14s at a local shop, but that was a bust. The dealer and I agreed Dynaudio sorta missed the mark with this model. They sound a bit cold and lack coherence across the spectrum.

I also checked out the Spendor s3/5r2, which I thought had good tonality, but sounded maybe a bit boxy.

I went to another shop, which had terrible a listening setup, so all observations to be taken with a grain of salt. Here I heard the Nola Boxer IIs, which sounded lovely, but seemed a bit burly in the low mids. I'd be wary of blindly pairing them with my Marantz gear. (NYC dealers really don't offer an "at home auditioning period. Ugh…)

I also checked out the Focal Aria 906s, which I had high hopes for. They were nice, but seemed to be a bit overemphasized in the very top end of the treble- a bit too airy. This gave the Focals a very mid-to-rear hall presentation that didn't really do a whole lot for me.

So, I am tempted to just go and buy the Dynaudio X12s used somewhere, but I can't help but wonder if there is more recent stuff that might tump them within my price range. How do the X12s compare to more recent standmounts?

I am also considering the Epos Elan 10 or 15, since I have been using the Epic 2s in my system for a while, but I do not know how they would compare to recent options or the X12s. (It's been so long since I've heard the X12s).

Also, for what it's worth, I am starting to get the impression I might be partial to soft dome tweeters. It is really just a tonal thing (or completely psychosomatic).

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year to you all!

Never heard your Marantz gear, but I have paired the Boxers with four different amps in the last couple of months and don't find them to be "burly" in the lower mids. What kind of gear and cable was this poorly setup dealer using. Also what kind of hours did he have on this pair as the II's were just released. Before even giving mine a serious listen I let them play out of phase and covered for 100 hours. Though a bit more would also consider the Reynaud Bliss.

Jack

I feel the same as you about the LS50, they have that zing added to them that makes them sound metallic and artificial to a degree.

Try GoldenEars Tower 7`s, in your price range with a nice natural sound.

I feel the same as you about the LS50, they have that zing added to them that makes them sound metallic and artificial to a degree.

Try GoldenEars Tower 7`s, in your price range with a nice natural sound.

Interesting the different opinions on the LS50, I actually find them incredibly neutral but revealing. Using a Rogue Sphinx.

Interesting the different opinions on the LS50, I actually find them incredibly neutral but revealing. Using a Rogue Sphinx.

So do I. I frankly have no idea what "zing" they are talking about. I think that the partnering pieces may have something to do with it. Also we all hear things differently. Two speakers listed here I find far brighter...Totem Model Ones and PMC's. I like both brands but they are brighter to my ears than the KEF LS50's (by no small margin). If there is one problem that I can nail down with the LS50 it is that the character of every note is a bit homogeneous. The tonal palette could be broader. That said it is quite an achievement for the money. At that price there will be significant compromises regardless of the speaker. My guess is that the OP is willing to give up some of the other things that the LS50 does well for a broader range of tones. I really think a second look at the Nola's should be in order.

At the store I work at we probably sell equal numbers of KEF LS50s and R300s, so you may want to check out the R300s for something a little less forward but still with the imaging KEF do so well. Just an idea.

So do I. I frankly have no idea what "zing" they are talking about. I think that the partnering pieces may have something to do with it. Also we all hear things differently. Two speakers listed here I find far brighter...Totem Model Ones and PMC's. I like both brands but they are brighter to my ears than the KEF LS50's (by no small margin). If there is one problem that I can nail down with the LS50 it is that the character of every note is a bit homogeneous. The tonal palette could be broader. That said it is quite an achievement for the money. At that price there will be significant compromises regardless of the speaker. My guess is that the OP is willing to give up some of the other things that the LS50 does well for a broader range of tones. I really think a second look at the Nola's should be in order.

I find that they do some things incredibly well and others ok. I think they do jazz like its nobody's business, but rock is a Jekyll and Hyde thing. Pink Floyd great and Zep and Beatles just ok. ZZ Top fantastic, was listening to I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide and the sound stage was ridiculous. I have my old Altecs sitting much farther outside the LS50s and I could have sworn one of the guitars was coming out of the left speaker and its not even wired up anymore.

I agree with Art about giving the Boxer's another try. As they are made on Long Island there are probably several dealers in the NYC area that have them in stock. E-mail Marilyn at Nola and ask her. Don't know which one you visited but East End HiFi in Suffolk County has them set-up and in stock according to his ads. Like many of the dealers he may still have both the versions in stock and you should try both if you can. My wife, a pianist for almost 50 years, actually prefers the Boxer to the over four times more expensive Vandersteen Treo. To her it is more natural. She also preferred my 2CE Sigs to the Treo for the same reason. I have used the Boxer with two SS amps, one tube amp and one hybrid integrated. And while they were all slightly different they were all good. Also have the model before the current Reynaud Bliss in my office system and it is very good also. The Reynauds are also not forward.

I was agreeing with the OP`s take on the LS50 and letting him know that i knew where he was coming from and knowing that he would consider my recommendation.

For me most KEF speakers under 20k have that metallic sound, exceed 20k and KEF has my attention.

It would take me pages here to explain about the "zing" and i do not have the time or desire to do it. Having been a speaker designer and manufacture i recognize it when i hear it.

The Paradigm Studio 20 has a loyal following though it retails for a little over the 1500 limit set by the OP.

Canton Vento 820.2's - they run $1500 for a pair, but how about a pair here for $999 would entice you? They pull the same ceramic tweeter from Canton's Reference line which includes a pair of $40K speakers. I had a pair of the slightly larger Vento 830.2's and they were my favorite monitor that I've heard.

This may seem totally out of left field, but a pair of Magneplanar MMGs, or used bigger models, would offer another (planar!) perspective. As would Quads, but risky at that price. Audition in person required there. Just a thought.

:music:

I was agreeing with the OP`s take on the LS50 and letting him know that i knew where he was coming from and knowing that he would consider my recommendation.

For me most KEF speakers under 20k have that metallic sound, exceed 20k and KEF has my attention.

It would take me pages here to explain about the "zing" and i do not have the time or desire to do it. Having been a speaker designer and manufacture i recognize it when i hear it.

You don't have to explain "zing" to me I just don't think that the KEF's have it (not to my ears). Paradigm Studio 20v1's had it.

RH67

I concur with you on the KEF "zing" and it is also available on most B&W models.

With B&W speakers sitting right here next to the KEF's I know what you mean but it isn't a product of metal tweeters IMO. Some metal tweeters ring but that is rare nowadays as the designers have long since found a way around it.

Brightness is another matter and some of the brightest speakers I have owned have been fabric domes. YMMV.

Hey Racingkaherv - I went through similar research. I really wanted to get the LS50s but ported with no grilles just didn't fit my needs. I ended up getting the new ATC SCM7s and am very pleased with the purchase. The new tweeter is being put into ATCs much higher priced models so I think you are getting real value with the 7s. They need a bit of power though.

Great question, racingkaherv.

It seems you've got the first step right, which is auditioning them in your home. That's the only way you can determine if a speaker suits your needs (preferences, room size, placement, etc.).

I've also considered several of the usual suspects that you mentioned. More importantly, it seems that you are looking for the same attributes that I like in a speaker. The LS50's had been on my radar but they never made it to the purchase stage because of their styling. Being grill-less with orange metallic drivers they would not have passed the WAF for the room where they were to reside.

I currently own two sets of stand-mount speakers within the $1,500 price-point you are looking at:

Bowers & Wilkins CM5's and Polk LSiM 703's

Both of these speakers were rated "Class B" by Stereophile and while they have similar specs they are voiced very differently. I've been meaning to post a detailed comparison of these two speakers (with several pictures) in a separate thread but I haven't had time.

Based on what you wrote, it seems you are looking for:

tonality
coherence
top-end that is not emphasized
natural organic midrange
smooth non-strident highs
full-bodied sound

If you can get past the brand name I suggest you give the Polk LSiM 703's a listen. They are a very flat and neutral sounding speaker that still provide a high level of detail and resolution. They seem to do everything well without a hint of listener fatigue. They also provide a satisfying amount of deep tight bass that belies their size. The fit and finish is pure upscale/high-end (pictures do not do them justice).

These speakers hit well above their price-point in sound quality and finish.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited:
When I was in a similar position I ended up with the sonus Fabre veneer 1.5. You may want to check those out. 1600 with their stands.

Back
Top Bottom