Speakers arrived damaged, heart broken

Not sure we learned who the shipping co was but they use a lot of conveyor belts and it's not unusual for stuff to roll or fall off onto a concrete floor from up to 6 ft. In addition to humans making bad handling choices.

FedEx.

I had a furniture doctor have a look at them today and he said he could get them looking pretty good, not perfect but pretty good, so I offered to the seller that I would keep them if he refunded half. No deal - they were insured so they have to come back.

Back on the hunt.

Well FedEx will deny his claim anyway as they'll get right down to brass tacks on packing, materials used, weight ratings of cardboard, etc. Their claims dept has perfected denying claims and packing like this exemplifies why.

Shame how much damn near impossible to find gear is converted to landfill by the expert packers on eBay.

If you send an item back from e-bay and it's damaged further because it's improperly packaged it's the buyers responsibility. Remember... you will not get your money back until the seller has the goods.

Pack carefully, even if it's damaged.

If you ship some nitroglycerine in the cartons with the speakers, their mis-handling of packages will be on the 6 o'clock news for all to see.

Of course, that is not advisable, but it certainly would reveal their weak spots.

If they were insured, then who gets paid and what happens to the goods? When a vehicle gets totaled, the insurance company takes ownership.

Shipping speakers is an insurance claim waiting to happen.
The actuaries would tell you this. Their heavy and big. If packed properly you would need a hand truck and a truck with a lift for delivery.
There's blame to spread over the entire process.
Devils advocate

I can't imagine what those things weigh. My S-500X speakers that arrived damaged were still kinda bulky but same thing happened to me. It took at least two separate hits or fell onto a corner of something maybe. Proper packing would have saved them. Was a real shame but they still sound decent at least.

I hope you find the speakers you want one day. Maybe you will have to expand your search to "local pickup only" and then drive halfway across the country to get them :beerchug:

Those guys that work for USPS, FED EX, UPS, ect don't give a damn. They probably rolled the boxes off the top of the delivery truck. It doesn't even matter the size I buy and sell records and it's the same thing these guys play frisbee with the boxes. I mean I have to take the record out of the sleeve and place ontop the album cover or the spine will split right through. Great care must go into packaging things and the simple fact is that most people selling on Ebay are just to daft to know any better. I once bought a Rotel amp on Ebay that was in mint condition. When it arrived the Chasis was dented in two places and there was stuff rattling around inside the amp. Come to find out the kid was selling for his dad and decided that a single card board box and some newspaper would be suffice. The kicker is when I sent him the pictures he couldn't believe it he said "BUT I PACKED SO GOOD":bye:

Shipping speakers is an insurance claim waiting to happen.
The actuaries would tell you this. Their heavy and big. If packed properly you would need a hand truck and a truck with a lift for delivery.
There's blame to spread over the entire process.
Devils advocate
New good speakers have found a way around the FedEx, UPS, USPS shipping damage. Their top speakers are a few hundred pounds and gotta go by truck maybe even palleted for ease of delivery, no hand trucks.

I bought the CS R700's when I was 18 years old, stationed in Germany. I have 2 sets now and I'm looking for a 3rd set.
This is By Far......the saddest thread I've ever read on AK.
I love these speakers. They were designed by Pioneer to compete against the then,"oh so popular" JBL Century 100's.
IMHO, "then and now" the Pioneers sound much deeper/richer than the JBL,s.

Found another set on ebay a couple of days ago, not in nearly as good a condition, but only a hour's drive away. Picked them up this afternoon. They sound good, but need some restoration.

Anybody know a source for the speaker cloth on these (black on top, brown on the bottom)? A couple of the frames need repair and I'd like to replace the cloth while I'm at it. I found some nice black speaker cloth for another project a few years ago, but it's rather sheer and not right as a replacement.

I know, I know, but these guys just don't come up that often and certainly not in the terrific condition they were, so I took a chance.

It would have been so easy to just add a little more padding and they would have been fine.

Damage like that was way beyond reasonable packing.
They dropped HARD to cause that.

Who was the shipping company (the carrier)?

Don't recall who the carrier was, but the poor things were so badly packed that it's not that surprising they got beat up. I believe most any carrier would have had the same result.

Almost any time something large and electronic is damaged in transit it is the seller’s fault. Over and over I see things or people complain about the shipping company, but realistically it’s almost always a case of the item being under-packed. Unless I see something with a forklift tine shoved through it, I am blaming the seller.

Snapping that horn took a lot of force.

I’ve seen speakers that we’re not damaged outside but the magnets were snapped off inside.

Point being, it takes quite a hit to snap things like that. It would take a lot of padding to avoid damage from a hit that hard.

Normal handling does not damage things.
You have probably moved your speaker many times and not damaged them. And they didn’t have any packing at all, did they?

I’ve seen the insides of electronics scrambled by hits in shipping and no damage to the box or case.

I’ve shipped glass show cases, no problem.

It was the shipping company.

My bet is UPS, but USPS and FedEx out in NE US is really nasty at times.

I do know how to safely ship heavy speakers and it’s not that difficult. You just need to find a Sushi restaurant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom