Speakers !! Best bang for the buck at the $2k price level ?

OP, you are in a GREAT area being right outside of DC. I used to occasionally just drool over the offerings that would pop up frequently on the local CL. If patient, I think you could find something really amazing.

I was recently in Baltimore and I concur.

I think that packaging and shipping estimate is a bit optimistic. The packer of those things really has to know what he's doing - few do. Frankly I wouldn't unless the seller had all original packaging for a start, and those should be boxed again.

I just had a Cambridge amp delivered which advertised "all original packaging". However I'd read that their original packaging was marginal. So I asked for it to be double-boxed, and the seller agreed. I doubt I need to complete this story. No original box in sight, among other things. Seller says "oh just send it back for a refund." But no offer of shipping costs. Such is our 'favorite' auction site....

Complicating matters is that I like the amp
index.php

I just had a Cambridge amp delivered which advertised "all original packaging". However I'd read that their original packaging was marginal. So I asked for it to be double-boxed, and the seller agreed. I doubt I need to complete this story. No original box in sight, among other things. Seller says "oh just send it back for a refund." But no offer of shipping costs. Such is our 'favorite' auction site....

One can only imagine how well a pair of A/D/S L1590 would have survived if packed by the same guy. :rolleyes:

Wow I leave my computer behind for the afternoon and all hell breaks loose. Wow.....

Packaging and shipping is always a risk. Lots of folks don't know how to package well. And even for the ones that do, there's still that big unknown of how it's all gonna be treated on the journey. Bad things can and do happen....

Beyond that, even with the best of shipping and encountering no damage, there's still that financial thing. Good money evaporates for a service performed , versus being applied to the product itself. Kinda opposite of bang for the buck.

Thanks everyone so far for weighing in on this thread. Certainly an eye opener for me and exposure to products I previously had no knowledge of ....

I can't attest to having heard these but if I were in the market and had $2k I might be tempted to at least try them, especially with their free return policy.
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html
Of course if you wait, you might see them going for upwards of 40% off like they were last fall, in which case I would likely get matching subs too.. Bang for the buck, I would be surprised if 2 of these didn't deliver..
https://www.jbl.com/subwoofers/STUD...r_STUDIO 260P_color=Black-USA-Current#start=1

Since this is a "list of favorites" - KEF 107s :) Powerful. Smooth. Effortless sound. A bit polite though, yes. In a good way. For $2k though you have a LOT of options! Definitely try to hear before buying, and buy used. I honestly don't know what I'd buy for $2k. I'm happy with what I have, but there are PLENTY of speakers I'd like to hear yet!

Find a pair of Aerial Acoustics 10T's. They can be had for less than $2K and are an amazing value at that price.

https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/466/index.html
+1. My 10ts have been an absolute delight! I did not think any speaker under $5k would relegate my ADS L1530s to the basement, but the Aerials sure did. They are rare, but if you look you can find the MkII for around $2k. Not bad for a speaker that sold for almost $10k new! They really open up and thrive with high current power, as the Vifa woofer can present a sub 3ohm load. They will however sound good with any quality amp.

Last edited:
Another speaker which has really impressed me is the JBL 240ti. I am at a loss as to why it gets no love, likely because it is in the same line as the remarkable JBL 250ti. While finding a pair of 250ti for $2k is challenging, the 240ti is largely unloved at less than half the price. It utilizes 3 of the 4 drivers present in the 250ti, in a more compact but still high quality cabinet. The woofer (LE14H-1) is world class, and the 044ti tweeter and 104H midrange are no slouches either! If you enjoy the JBL "left coast" sound, these are worth a look. Neither speaker comes up for sale very often, especially the 240. I am currently running the 240ti in the same basement system as the ADS l1530s and while they sound completely different, both are compelling in their own way. Either is a bargain at under a grand.

Another speaker which has really impressed me is the JBL 240ti. I am at a loss as to why it gets no love, likely because it is in the same line as the remarkable JBL 250ti. While finding a pair of 250ti for $2k is challenging, the 240ti is largely unloved at less than half the price. It utilizes 3 of the 4 drivers present in the 250ti, in a more compact but still high quality cabinet. The woofer (LE14H-1) is world class, and the 044ti tweeter and 104H midrange are no slouches either! If you enjoy the JBL "left coast" sound, these are worth a look. Neither speaker comes up for sale very often, especially the 240. I am currently running the 240ti in the same basement system as the ADS l1530s and while they sound completely different, both are compelling in their own way. Either is a bargain at under a grand.

Funny you mentioned "left coast" sound which typically describes the L100 or similar voicing of that era JBLs. The Ti series actually sound more accurate and threw me off when I first heard them. Gone is the boomy bass and the shouting mids. Everything sounded more accurate and refined, and the bass was tighter. More modern sounding, in my opinion.

+1. My 10ts have been an absolute delight! I did not think any speaker under $5k would relegate my ADS L1530s to the basement, but the Aerials sure did. They are rare, but if you look you can find the MkII for around $2k. Not bad for a speaker that sold for almost $10k new! They really open up and thrive with high current power, as the Vifa woofer can present a sub 3ohm load. They will however sound good with any quality amp.

Almost traded out my KEF 107's for Aerial 10T's. Would have been a LOT of logistics "issues" though. Still curious about Aerial Acoustics.

If anyone has compared KEF 107's to Aerial 10T's, please PM me, I'd like to hear about it!

Last edited:
I can't attest to having heard these but if I were in the market and had $2k I might be tempted to at least try them, especially with their free return policy.
I believe that WaynerN has a pair of those and speaks very highly of them. I've always wanted to hear those and the stand mount version as well.

Funny you mentioned "left coast" sound which typically describes the L100 or similar voicing of that era JBLs. The Ti series actually sound more accurate and threw me off when I first heard them. Gone is the boomy bass and the shouting mids. Everything sounded more accurate and refined, and the bass was tighter. More modern sounding, in my opinion.
I agree, they are more refined, more detailed and more accurate than my L100t3 which I loved for 20+ years. Perhaps the biggest wow was the tight, punchy upper bass. The t3 was more refined than the original L100 Century. That being said, to my ear, they still have that JBL sonic profile. They are a joy to listen to with rock and jazz. I have several audiophile friends who walk past everything else I own to listen to the 240s when they visit. One actually threatened physical harm to be if I sold them! While tough to find, they are one of the great bargains in audio as I have seen pairs go unsold for $600.

I haven't heard much new stuff, $2K and under, that interests me. I'd like to hear some Kefs in that range. Elacs too. The Goldenears I heard weren't very good, but then again, it was a poor dealer set up. Other than those, who knows?

Vintage, I'll still stick with my AR Vertical Series AR90s. Then, AR9s or 91s. Big ADS, EPIs, or NHTs. I also very much like Acoustats, but not Magnepans. Too polite to me. Not dynamic. I've still never heard an Emim based Infinity. I'd like to. I want to like Vandersteens, but don't. They always sounded too rolled off, closed in, and dark to me. Now, Dahlquist and Alon, both great sounding speakers. Very holographic. The bipole Mirage M-3s, another awesome speaker. Maybe some B&As. Just make sure to audition them first. Some are very good, some a bit bland. They're usually better on acoustic type recordings. Modern rock, less so. If you like rock, I like the smaller B&Ws, and a sub.

See my post above - Paradigms Monitor series are cheaper than that new and so are some of the PSB's.

I've never had the opportunity to hear any Paradigms. Though, the guy that I bought my AR58S speakers from, was replacing them with Paradigms. Some very interesting designs there. The PSB monitors I've heard were very musical. Relaxed, warm, and believable. I should head to Crutchfield, to see if they have any of the tower PSB's hooked up? I'd like to hear those.

Yesterday I heard a pair or Magnepan 1.7. Another really nice speaker but needs to be placed at least 3' into the room from rear wall. Pretty good bass for an electrostatic. Very open sounding, the speakers practically disappear. Sensitivity of 86 dB therefore a fairly powerful amplifier is recommended, ie 200 w at a bare minimum.

The 1.7 is $2,000 pr; for a bit less there is the .7 at $1,400 pr which has gotten great reviews as well.

Magnepans are not electrostatic, they are planar magnetic. Generally an easier load than stats for an amplifier.

Rick, which of your speakers do you like best and what are the goals of the $2k speakers?

Are you looking for louder while maintaining the sound quality like many of the new expensive speakers can do and many older speakers can't?
You looking for a fuller sound, better imaging or something else.

Best bang for the buck is some many different things to different people. You have a lot of great speakers and was wondering what you want to improve on what you have right now. That could direct the conversation toward something you might like without this just being a guessing game.

Of the ones mentioned so far, I would like to hear the ones you are considering and the Thiels. Have the ADS, heard the Magneplanars at Jim's and have some DQ-10s. You have some nice speakers, maybe making them right and driving them properly will be all you need to keep along the path of Wannabe Minimalist.....but I know the desire to add something new to the mix. Without knowing where you want to go, I can only say find out about what is out there used for 2k from this century, late last century as I think speaker design and materials of construction are significantly different compared to the myriad of speakers you currently have.

Back
Top Bottom