Speakers for classic Mc? Spendor maybe?

randog

I'm looking for speakers to compliment my MX-110/MC-2105 combo. I've been thinking about Spendor after doing a lot of research... they seem like a good match. The SP-1/2 would be about as big as I'd like, size-wise at 12" X 12" X 25" (this is my master bedroom system) but it might be out of my range ($) I'm not that big'a Spendor!

There's a pair of SP-1's (the SP-1/2 predecessor) for sale locally for a reasonable price. Any comments on these?

How about the SP-2/3 or SP-3/1?

Any other 'classic' matches?

Thanks,
Randog

Prior to getting my Shahinian Obelisks, I was using the Harbeth C7ES2, which sounded great with my C42/MC252. It's a bit smaller than the SP1/2 or SP1 (which I owned about 15 yrs ago) and the midrange is much much better than the Spendor.

FWIW, I think Heritage Series Klipsch horn speakers would be a viable option for your McIntosh gear, if you like horns that is. My Cornwalls loved my MC7200, MC2100, and the MC250.

Rudy Bozak used Mc to voice his Symphonys and Concert Grands. I can attest to the magic the 110/2105 makes with the Symphonys.

I like the Klipsch Heritage also. Run Lascala's with Mc-60's and Dynaco's. Great lively sounding stuff.
Randy

Don't why I did not throw it in before; what about a nice set of ML series speakers? Say a set of ML-4s or even the small(er) ML-2s.

I've had great results running vintage McIntosh and Klipsch. Here are my favorite "owned" combos- in order.

Klipsch Mc225 no pre and LaScalas
MC2505 C-36 and Quartets
MC2505 C-28 Forte II
MC2100 Klipsch KG-II These are from the Heritage line. PWK's 1'st bookshelf.

Some people don't like the sound but I had fabulous results with my 2100 and Magnepans. Plenty of power, don't let the rating fool you.

I'm as old school as it gets with my preference for nice JBL horn speakers. I have 3 pair in my house and I love them all! :D

Carl

Thanks for the responses!

I'm intrigued by the Klipsch Heritage speakers, but I'm confused by the array of models and sizes. This is for my bedroom system and I'd be buying Greg's Cornwalls for sale if they weren't so big. Height is OK while width and depth space are at a premium!

Where can I dig up a rundown of the Klipsch models without spending a week surfing and digging?

Also, is there a good place to learn about vintage speakers in general? It's hard to compare products that are long since gone from retail shops. Also interested in what to look for in buying 20+ year old speaks...

Also, not familiar with Rudy Bozak speakers :eek:

Randog

randog said:
Where can I dig up a rundown of the Klipsch models without spending a week surfing and digging?

Randog

You might want to try here.

There is information about older lines, with specs. Should have what you need.

Any McIntosh amp should work with any speaker, new or old. Use the speaker you like, it does not have to be the same age as the amp.

Ron-C

As an example of mixing amplifiers and speakers of different vintages, I am currently using a MC2100 (purchased new by my father in 1973) to drive a pair of Audio Physic Brilons (purchased in 2004). I live in an apartment and like the Brilons clarity, but they definately benefit from the warm voicing of the MC2100.

McIntosh electronics of different vintages work well together also. I am using a C2200 preamplifier and an MR78 tuner. I am quite pleased with the system, although I do hope to upgrade the amplifier soon. My only problem is deciding between the MC252 and the MC275.

Back
Top Bottom