Speakers for home theater

Bigyank

Long time Member
Subscriber
I have just jumped into the foray! Bought myself a Sony STR-DE698 7 channel receiver (90 watts/ch) for the family room. Sony DVP-NC875V SACD/DVD changer as well. Boy will my wife be surprised when she comes back from her trip :D

Now, I start the look for 7 channels worth of speakers! :yes:

I have to downsize the speakers (currently have some old Boston Acoustics HD-7's wall mounted). I do not like Bose so they are out but has anyone had any experiences with some of the similar offerings (JBL has the SCS series for example).

John

I wish! :D

I forgot to mention that my budget is really non-existant, remember I am married :D (Happily I might add and want to stay that way!).....

The JBL's I mentioned though definitely lower end, IMHO, are way up there on the $$$ factor. Hey if I really want to jam I already have my L100t's :guitar: :rockon:

But the toughest part of all is I have to sacrifice some vintage Sansui gear to make way!!!! :cry:

John

Last edited:
Hey John!

Got sub? Even big speakers can benifit from one for HT imho.

I've heard tell, but haven't heard ( :) ) the Klipsch Quintets' are pretty good.

Have fun. I like the artillery scene from "when we were soldiers" for a test, and the opening scene with the French soldiers - those bullets whizzing will have you duck!

Pete

try home theater direct. i heard the little middies sound pretty decent. might fit right in you budget. they have higher entries if you feel the need to move up the ladder

Bigyank said:
I wish! :D

I forgot to mention that my budget is really non-existant, remember I am married :D (Happily I might add and want to stay that way!).....

The JBL's I mentioned though definitely lower end, IMHO, are way up there on the $$$ factor. Hey if I really want to jam I already have my L100t's :guitar: :rockon:

But the toughest part of all is I have to sacrifice some vintage Sansui gear to make way!!!! :cry:

John

John,
I bought JBLs for my HT. . . All are Northridge series E100s but the little 6in 2ways are great and cheap to. Actually smaller speakers along with a decent sub are the only way to go. Much easier for location using smaller speakers.

You can still use your L-100s for fronts if you set them at "small" which lowers their power requirements drasticaly. . . However I imagine you have your vintage gear hooked to them. . .

It is nice to have all the same speakers for tonal reasons but not as important as some might want you to think. I would at least keep the front three close. You can also use the little JBL as center. . .Works fine and it is shielded. . . 5 JBL E30s can be had right at JR. . .

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3724328

149.00 a pair delivered is one fine deal considering they retail for 300.00

Last edited:
Dont discount Polk speakers!! I have a pair of Polk BOOKSHELF speakers for my L/R Main HT speakers (RT25i's) and they do an excellent job in a small living room. You can find deeply discounted Polk's of all sizes at www.Crutchfield.com's scratch & dent store.

Maybe a set or two of these if you want to stay vintage.WAF is high around my house on them. Pecan finish on the wood.
They may not take you to earthshaking levels though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5774914512&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Don't know anything about the sub with them.
I have a pair of them and a pair of the original baby advents for my garage system. Sound great and the size maybe about right. Definatly less money than the Axiom's. You will need a sub though for home theatre. Don't need one for music.
Here is the quick ebay search.
http://search.ebay.com/baby-advent_...adisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

If you going to go new I'd second the Polk recomendation. I was all set to buy a set of Polks for the MBR before getting bit by the vintage bug...

My Outlaw 6.1 HT is driving my Snell Type EIII's on the front, (crude homemade 2 way swithes to select the Outlaw or 9090DB) A Polk center front (thrift find) and EPI 100's in walnut on the rears.

Nothing wrong with vintage speakers on HT

Once I get the FR rearanged with the TV on the short wall, I'll have the Snell EIII's up front, another set of Snell Type EII's in the rear, the same Polk front center, and be trying a Paradigm 11se Mark II for the rear center (I have 2 bad that can make one good box...).

EDIT: I forgot the Sub. It's an M&K V-2B 100W powered sub. I agree a good Sub really makes the war movies and other boomers jump. well worth it. Real theater-like sound. LOTR really benefited from the addition of the sub!

Last edited:
I have a sub which my wife absolutely hates the JBL PSW-D112. I never had a problem with it, had it for 5 years now. Big black honking cube! Still leaning to the JBL SCS 300's and I hate to say it but mainly for $$$.

Yes the JBL L100t's are run by almost vintage (1995) Adcom rig.

John

Have you taken a look at orb audio: http://www.orbaudio.com/

They have a surround sound setup of 5 satellites and a sub for $750 (recent price increase). I will probably end up getting a set of these in August. I had a pair of Gallo Micro's at one point and liked them. These are knockoffs. I think one of the guys that sells these worked for Anthony Gallo before. If you like what you see, go and buy them ... and then tell me if I should buy them :D

Mike

well i have yamaha 120 watt per channel am using mirage for small surround get plenty of base for there size. and sound great. someone mentioned M&K sub sb-2. ihave sb-1. befinatly good base. there is more powerful stuff but you can find cheap on line. i haveset of mirage 90is if your interested (80 watts rms) but i used them with yamaha 120 watt conservitavely and they were great. if you want specs i'll send let me know good luck happy listening. marc

Back
Top Bottom