speakers for MC240 & MX110Z?

longgone

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi...
I have acquired one MC240 & an MX110Z.
They are being restored now.
They were working units.
The 240 has Sylvania 6L6GCs and old Mullard 12AX7 (2), old Telefunken 12AX7 (long, smooth, gray), old 12BH7s (not sure what), old Mullard 12AU7s (2). All tubes are good.
The 110 has a lot of tubes. They are old. Amperex Bugle Boy, Telefunken, Philips, Westinghouse.
All tubes are good.
I am fortunate to have a nice assortment of other brands of good, old 12AX7, 12AU7, tubes.
The units are very nice looking.
They should be excellent spec when I get them back.

I have some passive Linn Keilidh speakers;

SPECIFICATIONS - Introduced: 1992 Type: 2-way Infinite Baffle Loudspeaker Frequency Response: 45Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB (Active) 65Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB (Passive) Input Impedance: 8 Ohms per drive unit (Active) 4 Ohms (Passive) Efficiency: 92dB for 1W at 1m (1kHz) Minimum Amplifier Power: 60W / 4 Ohms Drive Units: 19mm ceramic-domed treble, 2 x 160mm carbon-loaded polypropylene bass/midrange Applications: Single-wired, Bi-wired, Bi-amped, Active Bi-amped, Active Tri-amped Size: W 200mm x D 275 mm x H 825mm Weight: 18kg each.

I know about some AR3a speakers but I have never heard the AR3a.
I would appreciate some advice about speakers for this system.
Thank you for any help.

ADS 910's sound great with this setup, Also JBL L112, Klipsch Cornwall or Altec horns (Valencia's or model 19 or...)

thanks guys...
I've had the Linns for a long time.
They are in fine condition.
You think the 92 db efficiency is ok?
They are enjoyable with a 2205 or 1.2kws.
I shall give them a go when the gear gets here.
I wondered if the 240/110 might want higher efficiency?
I have a pair of Klipsch Herseys, too.
Would the Hersys be similar to the Cornwall?

240 in good shape will put out 55 watts and meet specs. I think the clip around just above that, So 92 db 1 watt would be 112 db with 100 watts and about 99 or one thing at 60 watts. If you listen at 10 ft or greater about 91 watts both speakers. Which is plenty for most folks for pop music. Bit if you listen to Classical, Jazz, etc the peaks can over drive your amp. So like the man said I would want more efficiency as I did when I had one MC 240 driving 94 db 1 watt 4ft speakers. My solution was another 240. Running both mono. When I went to bi-amp I ordered two 275's. But really some thing like a Cornwall or an L300 from JBL or a Model 19 from Altec might be a better solution. The Cornwall is the most efficient of the 3. If the Cornwall is to large look for a Choreus II, the New Forte III, or maybe a RF 280. But you would probably be happier with the Forte if you have space issues. If you want to move walls and shatter glass get a pair f La Scala or for full fidelity a pair of Kornerhorns.

thanks guys...
I've had the Linns for a long time.
They are in fine condition.
You think the 92 db efficiency is ok?
They are enjoyable with a 2205 or 1.2kws.
I shall give them a go when the gear gets here.
I wondered if the 240/110 might want higher efficiency?
I have a pair of Klipsch Herseys, too.
Would the Hersys be similar to the Cornwall?

Try the Heresy's. They're similar in that they share a familial heritage. if you like the basic presentation of the Heresy's you'll probably like the Cornwalls.

would agree with Uncle Bingo. JBL 112s 110s 166s, or for something newer, many small bookshelfs work well.

one speaker that is a great deal is the monoprice K-BAS with upgraded parts in the crossover, great speaker.

J

Back
Top Bottom