speakers for Sansui 5000a

sko19

Ok, right now I am pushing my Sansui through a pair of Dynaco A25. I love them, but they probably need to be recaped. Instead of doing that. I want to here from you what speakers I should get with a budget of 500 dollars or less.
They can be vintage or new.

With that budget, there is a huge selection of speakers on the used market. What are your music tastes?

I always recommend Polk Monitor 7's or 10's. They are great speakers and well within your budget. Polk RTA12's are there as well. So many other good choices well within your range.

Sorta hard to recommend something because what sounds good to me may not to you.

With the rich, warm sound of the 5000 it would match up well with the acoustic suspension designs of the era such as the KLH's, Advents, Polks, ADS, Boston Acoustics, and early Infinity. All can be bought in restored condition within your budget.

Sansui models of that vintage go well with Wharfedales. 50wpc roundabout, right? So, you're looking at the W60D, W70D, and W90D, all very, very-nice speakers. You might be able to even go with the W70C and W90C, but those might be 40wpc instead of 50. Either way, they make a nice pairing with those early solid-state Sansuis. I have a 4000 and 2000x myself.

Here's the W70D... Beautiful speaker.
1311582327_IMG_0706.jpg

And here's a video: https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=twRR7JG3rgw

This model would sing nicely with a 5000a. I believe they are rated for 50wpc. Very-engaging and musical. The kind of speakers that will have you digging through your music collection. Perfect mids and very-smooth highs. Zero fatigue. And they are not a "warts and all" type of speaker. About the farthest thing from it, actually. I have the early, original W90's (No letter), which are a bit too-sensitive for a receiver as powerful as the 5000a (They're only rated for 40wpc). The W90D would be real nice with a 5000a, plus they will sound even better if you upgrade to a tube setup later on (Fishers are an excellent match for the '60's Wharfedale models).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom