Speakers in the wild: What have you come across?edit: can be the ‘wilds’ of your own collection.

A pair of these Optimus Rat Shacks are at my local service station. They actually sounded decent, but didn't see what was driving them, no pun intended.

If you're ever in West Hollywood on Sunset stop by the Chateau Marmont, and check out the sweet McIntosh vinyl / Sonus Faber setup in the lounge. No pics allowed. :beatnik:

There was a record store in Portland OR that had a pair of the Design Acoustics dodecahedron speakers (and, if memory serves, on the stands) up on a shelf near the ceiling. Pretty impressive.

This is the back wall of a coffeehouse where I often stop in the mornings. I posted it in another thread a while back but it is worth reposting here.

McIntosh pre and power amps. AR turntable and (wait for it) Bose 901, series II (I think) speakers.

coffeehouse.jpg

Spotted a pair of "Community" branded speakers at a local ex B&O railroad station turned restaurant/pub. Baldwin Station in Sykesville, Maryland. http://www.baldwinstation.com/index-frames.html

They host small musical acts in the dining room shown below. Great atmosphere, decent food, and sometimes music gets interrupted by trains rolling by right next to the building....

One of the speakers on shelf slightly right of center on first photo.

baldwin by steven tapper.jpg

Baldwins_back.jpg

cct-arc-d9d0b77d-f39c-5893-a845-f8b9e75616d1-20150123.jpg

Last edited:
I was recently at a parade and one float, carrying a bunch of carol singing childred had Cerwin Vega AT-15's! Who cares about the singing brats, crank the CVs!!!!

Little JBLs at the Middlebury Snow Bowl base lodge. They also have some outside horns for announcing ski races and sometimes they crank tunes as well.
upload_2016-12-10_22-57-16.png

In Middlebury vt.,in about 1976 ,the Fire&Ice pub had Heresys hanging from the ceiling.The barkeep said they replaced Belles that were up there that the owner took home.He said they really cranked those Belles after hours. I believe Fire and Ice is still there,I wonder if the Heresys are?

Last edited:
A motley crew of miscellaneous speakers, old radios, and one TV cabinet, at a local Jamaican-themed restaurant and bar, captured on crappy phone camera last night:

IMG_20161210_213147184.jpg

The ceiling is decorated with 45's, as is (blurrily, sorry) visible here:
IMG_20161210_213715937.jpg

No new finds? Me either, but it's walking weather again, so I'll find 'em.

Back
Top Bottom