Speakers in the wild: What have you come across?edit: can be the ‘wilds’ of your own collection.

An antiques/consignment store in Old Lyme CT had a pair of Monitor Audio (I think) speakers with red anodized metal woofers. Sounded wonderful driven by a nothing special BPC receiver. In the back room, for a while, they had the owner's big Bozaks driven by Sound Craftsmen or SAE electronics.
This was a long while ago, so don't bother rushing over to buy them.

Spotted a Sansui 2000 and speakers at one mechanic shop and a pair of Infinity floor standers at another while in NC last week.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 56
New alert! Visiting an excellent food place, The Carvery, in South Surrey (Vancouver) BC, and up on the wall are a pair KEF104/aB KIT! They look to be in excellent physical condition. They were playing and sounded good as well. Have to go back and find out what he was powering them with. No problem going back; the sandwiches were amazing anyway.

image2.JPG image1.JPG

Here are the Realistics I mentioned in my previous post that are hanging out in a local thrift store. They've never been playing any of the times I've been there. I kinda want to ask about them but they overprice their electronics...

20170601_130045.jpg

I remember some Fishers looking like those at the youth group in my childhood church. The director was cool and man did we pound on them with the new wave 80's sounds!

Was in Denver's Twist and Shout store the other day looking to fill in some gaps in my vinyl collection and saw what looks to be a pair of JBL L45s on the wall in the vinyl section. I didn't think to take a photo myself, but you can see them in this shot:

https://foursquare.com/v/twist--sho...d46c1fe3?openPhotoId=5172f8e8e4b0b5ce0f56a9f1

Pretty cool store and worth checking out if you are in Denver (no affiliation).

A pair of Minimus 7s playing some tunes in a Fernandina Beach, Florida thrift store. (Above the pictures) The other one was on the opposite wall of the store.

20170617_150805.jpg

Some thrift store speakers:

Polk R1s in the local Salvation Army

View attachment 919451

Infinity Speakers in a local thrift shop, but more interestingly powered by a Marantz receiver that I couldn't get a pic of (2240 I believe)

View attachment 919452

Totally forgot to take a pic of the Realistics in one of the other local thrift stores...
Here's the pic of the Marantz accompanying the Infinity speakers.

20170608_132822.jpg

A pair of Altec Image 5's, some JBL's and some homemade speakers using car speakers as drivers at body shop in Fort Walton Beach Florida.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 51
I haven't seen anything noteworthy recently, but did run across some neat stuff when I knew just enough to be dangerous.

My high school had, as of the early 2000's, a pair of industrial La Scalas. They looked intriguing but sounded pretty terrible. I now know this was due to the fact that they were a) being used in either a gym or a concrete cafeteria any time I experienced them, and b) being driven by some big Peavy amplifier at way too much volume, and c) usually playing whatever crap was popular.

I now own the LS-BL variety, so I know how good they can be :)

They also had some multi-cell horns (disconnected) out at the baseball field. I kept thinking about finding out who to ask about relieving the school of that old garbage, but never did. I don't know if they are still there, but I would doubt it.

I was at a bar recently that has some in-wall speakers that looked to have been installed in the '70s if I had to guess. I noticed the fairly large brown cloth grilles integrated with the wood panels on the walls, and that they sounded pretty good compared to the usual restaurant/bar systems. I have no clue what they actually are.

Still keeping my eyes out for good stuff in the wild.

This is the back wall of a coffeehouse where I often stop in the mornings. I posted it in another thread a while back but it is worth reposting here.

McIntosh pre and power amps. AR turntable and (wait for it) Bose 901, series II (I think) speakers.

View attachment 832537

Dropped by this San Francisco coffee shop again and found that the McIntosh receiver and AR turntable have been replaced by a Marantz and Pioneer respectively. The barista said they were out for repairs. At least the Bose 901's are holding up.

IMG_7960.JPG

Here's the pic of the Marantz accompanying the Infinity speakers.

View attachment 953151
I especially like the mountain of crap blocking the vents. Sigh....

At a local restaurant in Bowling Green last week (Rafferty's) they looked to have about 10 Boston Acoustic A60's in black, scattered throughout the restaurant. Sounded decent, but too much crowd noise to know what it was capable of.

Back
Top Bottom