speakers or amps

Originally posted by THOR
Jack I understand what you are saying and for those with unlimited coin or lots of patience that would be the way to go. But I think for the majority of us we luck into deal on either speakers or amps and then build a system around that component. For example I found my CV's and Altecs in a guys attic, when I began "planning" my system they weren't the speakers I planned on getting but when I scored them I then built my system around them. I think it may be the same for many others here.

Actually, Thor, if you wound up building your system based on sound ("How would this amp sound with the speakers I scored last week?") instead of price ("I've gotta make sure that the amp I buy costs exactly as much as my speakers!"), then I think you're in agreement with Jack.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bolly
As BrianB commented we already have assumed synergy, so whatever sounds good, sounds good period, no matter how much it costs.

Since everything costs money.... It's still 50/50!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This comment is so contradictory, that it is useless.
Jack

Hey Jack, Synergy=good sounds. To clarify my post, seeing as you can't understand it, I feel both speakers and amps require equal amounts of attention, Hence 50/50! Can't have a good loudspeaker and a poor amp and vice-versa. We're both saying the same thing here. It's ALL about the SOUND!

Oh, BTW, next time you can't understand something I have to say, Ask me to clarify, jusy don't run your F'n mouth off! "useless"

Last edited:
JACK

I apoligize to everyone on this forum for "crapping" on this thread! However, I do not take insults very lightly, especially from someone who doesn't even know me!

Greg

quote:

Since everything costs money.... It's still 50/50!

Hey Jack, Synergy=good sounds. To clarify my post, seeing as you can't understand it, I feel both speakers and amps require equal amounts of attention, Hence 50/50!

I agree with the comment about attention, as I stated elsewhere, but the *implication* that they should be the same price is incorrect. The original question was about money.
I've driven $1.5K speakers with $7K amp with good results, and I've driven $7.5K spealers with $1.5K amps also with good results.
Jack

Last edited:
No Brian I think I've been misunderstood, I agree period that speakers are more important than amps. You can have a nice set of speakers and drive them with an Awia BPC receiver and they will still sound decent. However if you have a pair of crappy speakers and drive them with a $$$$ McIntosh amp the speakers will still sound like shit. If you have good speakers as long as you throw some decent amplification at them you are going to get good sound, hence the fact so many of us can buy amps without hearing them in our systems but based upon their specs, reviews and reputation.

All I was saying is that tho speakers are more important folks tend to find better bargains in speakers (in the used world) than in amps, hence amps tend to cost more than speakers (in the used world).

I also agree that it would be ideal to be able to plan from scratch a system, go to a dealer like yourself and bring stuff home to demo until you get the right combo, price of either speakers or amps not being a consideration ;)

Doesn't answer edwin's question though...

What component should we spend more money on? why? tks

Sometimes the speakers do wind up costing more, but sometimes they cost significantly less...BrianB
True!

I've driven $1.5K speakers with $7K amp with good results, and I've driven $7.5K spealers with $1.5K amps also with good results...Jack
I believe that, although I don't have that kind of money for home stereo... Yet. LOL!

when I began "planning" my system they weren't the speakers I planned on getting but when I scored them I then built my system around them. I think it may be the same for many others here...THOR
So True!

edwin, As long as it sounds good to you, YOU decide how much money you want to spend. Good Luck and keep your eyes peeled, never know what you might find!

Greg

The poor guy's probably confused now.:)

edwin, As long as it sounds good to you, YOU decide how much money you want to spend. Good Luck and keep your eyes peeled, never know what you might find!

Greg

Best advice yet.
Jack

What if you have some speakers you think you like, but the midrange is a little recessed or the treble does not have the energy or sparkle you want? Can changing amplifictaion correct this or change this for the better?

IF they are efficient it sounds like a tube amp would be the ticket, the mids and highs are where they excel.

Originally posted by Veg King
What if you have some speakers you think you like, but the midrange is a little recessed or the treble does not have the energy or sparkle you want? Can changing amplifictaion correct this or change this for the better?
It might, but you have to look at it on a case by case basis. many variable involved

Speakers must be of good quality or one would gain little with an amplifer upgrade. Another issue is the speakers must be compatible with the amp, especially so using tube amps. It is called system synergy.

In my experience, speakers make by far, the most discernable difference in sound. Even those who are not trained in hearing precise naunces and shifts can usually detect different speakers in an A and B comparison.

Back
Top Bottom