Speakers wattage

LesE, i have a question. I see on your profile picture the volume knob is lit. What amp is it? I really like the way it looks...

Last edited:
Wow, that's a nice piece of equipment. I bet it's loud and sounds good. And I love the lit volume knob
Thanks, it's a very nice amp but restoring it wasn't a lot of fun. I'm glad I went through the exercise but I wouldn't want to do it again anytime soon.

Les.

Replaced all electrolytic and tantalum caps, most of the semiconductors, all trimmers, all output transistor emitter resistors and all mica insulators were replaced and reinstalled with fresh silicone paste. There were a total of roughly 175 parts replaced and it took a month to complete.

Les.

Holy cow. For me that seems impossible to do LOL. But who knows, maybe one day...
Now when the amp is totally restored, can you see/hear/feel the difference?

My main goal was to improve long term reliability since the SA-9900 probably has more of the known troublesome transistors than any other Pioneer product from that period. Among the parts replaced, I found several iffy caps and one open emitter resistor. The amp sounded very good beforehand and I'd say that after restoration, it seems to have more authority in the bass region as well as a little more detail at the top end.

Les

Those are impressive looking speakers. What brand and model speakers are on the ends with the two huge woofers? Are they 10" or 12" or what size are they?

My main goal was to improve long term reliability since the SA-9900 probably has more of the known troublesome transistors than any other Pioneer product from that period. Among the parts replaced, I found several iffy caps and one open emitter resistor. The amp sounded very good beforehand and I'd say that after restoration, it seems to have more authority in the bass region as well as a little more detail at the top end.

Les

What other equipment you have connected to your gorgeous amp?

Those are impressive looking speakers. What brand and model speakers are on the ends with the two huge woofers? Are they 10" or 12" or what size are they?

Thx :) they are MCS 683 3 way passive. 12" . So that one speaker at the bottom is not exactly a speaker. Looks like one tho :) they are 100 W and I gotta say they sound good. With those JBLs next to MCSs to systems is really loud and I mean really lol and I enjoy the quality of the sound going through these speakers

Speakers and a phono cartridge are a good place to spend a fair percentage of your audio budget, they will reward you with excellent sound.

What other equipment you have connected to your gorgeous amp?

The SA-9900 is part of my bedroom system that includes the following:

TX-9500II Tuner
CT-F1000 Cassette deck
SG-9500 Eq
PL-530 Turntable
Chromecast Audio
Allison Four speakers + SVS sub

Les.

index.php

I have a pair of Genisis speakers from the 1980s that have a passive radiator like your speakers. They put out some nice deep bass.

Speakers and a phono cartridge are a good place to spend a fair percentage of your audio budget, they will reward you with excellent sound.

I was told not to replace phono cartridge. Just to get a new needle . And that's what I did. I spent almost $40 on it. Hope it's a good one. As far as speakers, I know you get what you paid for... My 4 speakers cost me only $160 but they sound good to me (at least for now) and I think that's important. But one day I'll get speakers from the top shelf ...

The SA-9900 is part of my bedroom system that includes the following:

TX-9500II Tuner
CT-F1000 Cassette deck
SG-9500 Eq
PL-530 Turntable
Chromecast Audio
Allison Four speakers + SVS sub

Les.

index.php

I really like what I see. It's a very nice (looking) system. IMO you need some kind of a cabinet to match your system.

Ok guys. My equalizer finally arrived. The set is complete. Now I'm gonna need someone to explain to me step by step how to connect everything the way it supposed to be.

PL 600
TX 608
RG 2
SR 303
SG 9800
SA 8500 ii
CT F 1250

Attachments

• IMG_20170327_43431.jpg
    IMG_20170327_43431.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 9
Back