Speakers: What do you own?

Looks like I have the same bug that you have...
but in my stored away list I don't even know half the stuff that is in the basement..
but goes something lke this
Used all the time...
Kappa 9
Kef 105.
Yamaha ns 1000m
stacked away
Imf 80's
IMf T50's
Imf rspm iv
Goodmans axiom 80
Tannoy Monitor gold 12" x 3 (NOS) Boxed
Imf (cant remember)
Imf (cant remember)
Imf (cant remember)
TDL (cant remember) x3 pairs
Altec Valencia
Gale 401 Chrome enders x 2 pairs
Gale 401 (timber boxes)
Gale 401 (black boxes)
Celestion 66 x 2 pairs
celestion 33
celestion 25 x 2 pairs
celestion xr15 x 2 pairs
B&W dm6
B&W dm2 x 2 pairs
Dynaco x 2 pairs
Spendor prelude x 2 pairs
Spendor (cant remember)
Yamaha ns690
kef concerto x 4 pairs
Kef 104ab x 2 pairs
kef 104 x 2 pairs
bose 901 x 2 pairs
Sony ads es ???
Realistic Minimus 7 x 2 pairs
Plus some B&O, Mission, Paradigm, canton
and Jensen, Wharfedale, polk, and heaps more cant even remember...
Do I have a problem?
Hello, Are you interested in Parting with anything. I may have a set of 1 owner with boxes perfect AR9's for you.

Yes, for sure... but i am located in Perth Western Australia..
and I doubt that you are anywhere near here...??
Yes thats a little far to be shipping speakers. Well a VERY nice collection you have there. I have a little one started my self.

In order of purchase
Technics SB E200 1981 New purchase

Since October 2017:

EPI 120C
EPI 320 TE
EPI 150M
EPI 100V
Wharefdale Mach 9
Paradigm 9se MK3
Paradigm 90 P Monitors Entertainment system
Infinity Kappa 8 - Very nice #1 so far
IMF TLS50 - Very nice #2 so far
AR 4Xa
Celestion Ditton 44
Celestion Ditton 25
AR 9 Teledyn Mint from original owner with all docs coming on Tuesday.

All Cabs have been refinished and Caps have been done or are in the process of

Have yet to sell anything

Bryston amps B4 and 2 x B3 st's
1B Bryston Preamp

In search of a TT

Yamaha NS1000M
Epos Epic2
Wharfedale Denton
Quad 22L
ATC SCM7
ATC SCM11
OLA

I may have listed earlier but if I did I'm pretty sure I didn't some of these at that time.

Harbeth, but only when I'm dreaming!:D
...r1

So I'm going through an "acquire" phase right now - "divest" will return, to again be followed by "acquire".

Current sets are (in order of original cost, indexed for inflation):
Soliloquy 6.2
Mirage OM-10 (being used in HT)
Ohm Walsh 2 (being used in living room rig)
Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 (being used in tube rig)
Dahlquist PDQ-827/ii
Cerwin Vega HED U-123
JBL E60 (being used at lake house)
Paradigm Atom v.2 (being used in office)

Of course some are gone but I had my own wall of sound
Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs
Polk Audio Monitor 7s original w/ Peerless tweeters
EPI-100V
EPI- M110
EPI-201s
Rectilinear Low Boy IIIs
DCM-TF 350s
JBL-G 200
JBL 2060
ADC 303ax
Klipsch H/T #400 smalls w/ pwerd sub

HEADPHONES
PIONEER SE-305
kOSS--727b

I'll play.
Allison Acoustics Allison Two(bought new by my dad in 79 currently being re-foamed)
Sonab OA12(bought new by my dad in 76, currently have Dayton woofers in them. Peerless are awaiting rebuild)
Altec Lansing 315(Bought new by me in 92,woofers just freshened up and crossovers checked out)
A pair of Realistic two way cabinets with Dayton drivers.(nice garage speakers)
Edit
Recently added a pairof B&W CDM1s, and took the Sonabs back to mom & dads house.

Last edited:
My favourite speaker is a home build.
It is a folded horn with two vents containing a Fane 50WRMS 12 inch speaker.
Very clear sounding.

In the 1980's I ran a mobile disco that had four of these drivers in a couple of cabinets.
Always sounded very good and very loud.

As others I did forget I also owned Bose 601 series 1. They were great speakers for the time and not nearly as finicky as 901s. They also had a switch in back called symmetrical for regular firing and asymmetrical to do all around off the wall thing.

JBL LX2001, Control One extreme: Nice internally braced cab on the lx2001. Very punchy sound. The titanium tweeter is also impressive for its class but its sound still has a hint of metal to it and I don't like it that much. One of the most decent filters in my low end collection.
Mordaunt-Short ms10: Ye olde audax tweet. By no means awful but it cannot completely hide its cheapness. The mid/bass driver is very sweet though. Paper cone, thick rubber suspension, decent magnet.
Goodmans Maxim 2: Basically the same setup. Seems a bit brighter than the ms10's. Again only thing of value seems to be the mid/bass driver. Cabinet is cheap but decent enough.
Mission 760i: Very accomplished but I'm just not a fan of their somewhat veiled sound.
Elac Dipol 40, Cinema 2 Sat (just a pair of sats), EL51s: Deliciously overengineered but somewhat soulless to borrow a horrible cliche about german engineering.
Grundig Box 8000: Super but I dont like a big textile dome as mid in a 3-way. Also: what were they thinking? How many of these things can possibly have survived: all the domes have zero protection even with the grilles on!
Philips Fwb-mc70, Fb652g: Low end Philips is always worth a laugh here. I like their gimmicks: kevlar cone vs passive radiator.
Scythe scbks-1100: One component filter. The metal cone mid/bass is driven full range.
Marantz ls-110: They look like one rung up from bottom rack bookshelves with a Marantz badge but they're one of my faves. Nice low end on the textile dome tweeter. Very dry sound for small bass reflex.
Tannoy Titan: Are these the cheapest speakers they ever made? I could live with only these.
Eltax Ht-2 bipolar: Enclosure milled from a block I recall reading somewhere. Nice paper cone tweets if you can stand a tad shouty.
Jvc sp-uxt55, sp-ux5000: They are very good but after some time distortion in the upper midrange gets intrusive. Hard time dealing with plosives.
Pioneer cs-e320: Non-metallic sound for such an old metal dome. Is this acoustic suspension? Deep but floppy bass.
Akai sw-30: I want zigmahornets now.
Wharfedale Delta 30: Hand made in Yorkshire. I like them. Superior mid from the paper cone in the tallish baffle.
Kef sp3235: Early, low-end Uni-Q. Brightish with a metallic twang. High resolution on the other hand, filters can hardly be rubbish.
Realistic Minimus 5, orphaned Optimus 1B: Cheap plastic horn driven by a paper cone. Recipe for some good sound it seems.
2 of those tiny Cambridge Soundworks sats: Great for spoken word. Voice is hard.

Previously owned:

Chartwell ls3/5a: Enough has been said, except: I liked mine better without the tweeter grilles.
Philips mfb 541, 544: The 541 is a marvel and I'm tempted to buy a brought back up to spec pair but they're expensive. 544 has the big textile dome mid I don't like.

Last edited:
Well let's see, currently used:

Sound Wave Soliloquy ( floor standing 5 sided 2 way/ 4 driver Jim Gala designed ones from mid '90's )
Keswick Reference Audio Volante Evolution ( British 2 way floor standing, mid '90's, U.K./ Asian market )
Gemme Tonc G3 ( book shelf 2 way from 3 or 4 years ago - Canadian company )
Boston Acoustics T 830s ( just acquired them )

If you include the home theater:

SVS PC 12 NSD
SVS PC 13 Ultra
Axiom QS 8 ( surrounds )
Sound Wave ( 5 sided smaller 2 way / 4 driver single as center channel to match the
Soliloquys )

In the past I have had the following:

Paradigm 5 SE MKIII
Paradigm Atom
Near 50Me
B&W CDM 1 SE
Mission ( two older 2 way book shelf, model #s escape me at the moment )

Last edited:
When I start to think about how many speakers I have I realize that I really need to downsize. I refurbish some and give them to family members or return them to the wild but there are others that I like to rotate around in a few systems. Here is what I can think of off the top of my head - I don't remember some of the model numbers and I don't have time to dig through the stack of speakers at the moment.

AR 3A
AR 5
AR 2aX
AR 7
AR 48BX
Allison Ones - currently my absolute favorites.
Klipsch Forte II (going to sell these since I like the Allisons so much more).
Marantz Imperial VII
Wharfedale 2-ways (don't remember the model)
3 EV Aristocrats
Ambient 3-ways (made in the town that I live in)
Pioneer CS-19
Minimus 7
Bose 301
Bose AM5 series 1

Rick B.

These are just the ones currently hooked up and in use. I have at least another half dozen pairs in storage. Just sold off half the stuff in storage in the past 2 months as well.
Kef Q90
Kef ref 100C
Kef Q10
Polk SDA-2B
ADS L710
Bohlender Graebener Z1
Philips mcd908
Missions 8vet
NHT SB1

Been through a few but in use I have:
Apogee Cantaurs paired with a sub to fill in the bottom end
psb Stratus Gold
Infinity Qe's with a sub on the PC.
Infinity Qe's on a small office system

In storage I have:
Pioneer CS99a's
Cerwin Vega AT-15's
Infinity Rsb's
Infinity Qb's currently in the fixes que. Rebuilt the crossovers just need to do some cabinet bracing and sealing. Make some new covers.
Time Frame 400's
Infinity rs200's
Small paradigm's I forget the number of.

Audio Note E/SPx Alnico Hemp speakers. These speakers use Hemp woofers with AlniCo magnets and the tweeter also uses an AlniCo magnet. The drivers are wound with 27 strands of 99.99 Silver Litz imcluding the voice coils. Full 15 ply No Void Russian Birch on the cabinets hand made in Austria. Pair matching of drivers and speakers to within .2dB full bandwdth.

Audio Note AX Two stamdmounts. 1/25th the price but still wonderful. Also hand made in Austria using VIFA drivers.

KEF LS50 a very well known sleek standmount.

Wharfedale Vanguard 3 way horn speaker. It is a better newer version of the now classic E70 speaker. 95dB sensitive 10ohms. Easy to drive and can play VERY loud.

TANNOY CR 650. A nice inexpensive standmount.

Back
Top Bottom